Pages

Friday, June 16, 2017

The Week is Finished

And that’s about all that got finished. Not much happened in the sewing room here this week, but I was plenty busy.

On Monday, I spent some time with my family research. I had recently borrowed a couple of genealogy books from the library and it inspired me to spend a little time organizing some of my information. I really hope to spend more time this summer in our spare bedroom where I keep all my family history “stuff” and get things in order. Of course, I say that all the time!

Tuesday and Wednesday were spent helping with the judging portion of our quilt guild annual quilt show. I was helping transcribe the judge’s comments and it was an amazingly interesting experience. I have never entered a quilt show (and I doubt I ever will), but it gave me a lot of insight into the details that I need to consider when making a quilt. I would definitely do this again if given the opportunity. The quilt show is today and tomorrow, and I will head over there later tomorrow to help give back quilts to the entrants.

The rest of the time this week I got some 2-1/2 inch squares cut for “bingo cards” for our August guild meeting. We will use the blocks for Ronald McDonald House quilts once the meeting is over. I plan on making a dozen or so to have ready to put some quilts together.

I also completed the next lesson in the FMQ QAL at The Inbox Jaunt



This is the Fabulous Flower motif. Not the best, but it’s another motif to add to the quilting arsenal.

I also (finally) started to work on Merrily…



I’ve just been cutting fabric, but it’s started and I always enjoy starting a new project 😊

I also finished a couple of more sunflowers for the crochet afghan I am making…



I need to spend a bit more time on these in the evenings. I could probably get one done a night if I worked hard at it. I still have 45+ to go.

I’ve spent a little time in the garden. Some of it is doing fine; other parts, not so well. We will probably have a gazillion cucumbers from the two plants we have. The tomatoes appear to be growing fine, but the peppers are all lagging behind. We got a handful of peas, but now those are dying back and need to be pulled out. We had our first meal with green beans this week. Hopefully those will stick around and produce for a while longer. The strawberries also look like they are going to give us some more fruit soon, but the blackberries aren’t producing many blossoms this year. It’s always hit and miss with a garden. The good thing is that we have had enough rain off and on that we haven’t had to water the garden in quite a while.

I also have been doing a bit of reading this week. I got through the genealogy books, and ran back to the library this week to pick up a few more books I had on hold. At the moment, I’m going through The DK Illustrated Kitchen Bible for some new recipes, and on my Kindle I am reading The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. The jury is still out on that one. For fun, I’m reading one of Parnell Hall’s Puzzle Lady books…A Puzzle to be Named Later. A fun and quick read.

And just FYI…like most of you, we live in an area with critters that venture into our yards. We have had dogs since we moved here and I have always been concerned about them tangling with these critters, particularly skunks. Though I had never seen a skunk (not even a dead one) in our neighborhood until a couple of weeks ago, I knew they were around and I had wanted to be ready in case one got in the backyard. Though I’m not an avid or doomsday prepper, I do like to be prepared for certain emergencies and situations, and one of those is a close encounter between my dog and a skunk. So, I have a “skunk kit” in my laundry room of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and Dawn dish soap. This is a recipe I have seen posted on the internet and I have read anecdotes of how well it works. So, I have kept it on hand for quite a while just in case. “Just in case” happened a couple of weeks ago when the next-door neighbor’s dog got into it with a skunk in their backyard, right by our fence (our house reeked for a couple of days because it was a pleasant evening and we had our windows open at the time). We headed over there to help her out and she didn’t know what to use, so I brought her my peroxide and baking soda (she didn’t have any). Though the recipe calls for blue Dawn, she had Platinum and used that. Well, it worked. I’m so happy to see it work in person. She called the ER vet because her dog was sprayed in the eyes, and the vet gave her the same recipe to use to clean off the skunk spray. The smell wasn’t completely gone with one application, but our neighbor was able to put the dog in the car with her to take her to the ER vet (for her eyes) and the smell wasn’t too bad in the car. That dog had more baths over the next week than she probably has had in her life! But, she smells fine now. The recipe calls for 1 quart hydrogen peroxide, ¼ cup baking soda, and 1 teaspoon blue Dawn. Mix all of this up in a bucket and sponge it all on the dog and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, then rinse off. Keep it out of the dog’s eyes. Don’t save any of the solution (I believe the baking soda and peroxide may react and your container may erupt.) Just use all of it on the dog. After you rinse the dog off, then wash them again with their normal pet shampoo. The vet suggested adding 1 teaspoon of vanilla to help mask the skunk smell. Also, the recipe calls for blue Dawn (as does every “home-made” solution using Dawn), but my neighbor used the Platinum Dawn and it worked fine. I think as long as it is Dawn. I have since restocked my skunk kit, so now I’m ready to go – and hopefully I won’t ever have to use it again.

That’s about all the excitement from here. We will have a little Father’s Day celebration this weekend for my hubby, and we will spend the weekend making sure my daughter’s room is cleared out and ready for her to come home from school next week. She will be home for about 7 weeks doing research at the local university. It will be good to have her back for a while – we’ve not seen her since Christmas.


I will probably spend the day cleaning and continue working on these same projects. Tonight is pizza night and we have all the fixin’s, so that will be easy enough. For now, I will be linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop! Whoop! I hope you head on over to see all the great projects everyone has been working on…and have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment