Pages

Thursday, June 1, 2017

Moving on to June

I made a bit of progress on some sewing room projects in May, and none on many of them! No matter. They are all still sitting there patiently waiting their turn. June may turn out to be a very busy month here, but I will spend some time in the sewing room when I can.

I have several more items on my list for the Second Quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long at She Can Quilt, which ends at the end of June. I have my neutral Gypsy Wife…



This is probably the only one I might come close to finishing, but I’m not holding my breath. I’m still stitching “every stinking seam” on this one, and it is a long process. I have finished up with the strips at the bottom…



It’s a little easier to see the quilting on the back rather than the front. I still have many of the blocks along the top to ditch stitch. I will continue working on this through June, and hopefully the ditch stitching will be done by the end of the month. I am anxiously awaiting the day when I can finally start the “real” quilting on it.

I also have the Wonky Halloween 9-Patch on my 2Q FAL list…



As you can see, I just have some of the blocks done (15 now). I have 27 more blocks to go. I’m not planning on finishing this one for the FAL, but I do want to make it my One Monthly Goal for June to complete the remaining blocks.

I have a few additional projects for the FAL, but I don’t have any plans to work on them this month.

I will be working on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge Kittens blocks. The color for June is yellow and I have selected these fabrics to choose from for my Kittens…



The fabric in the upper left is actually a deeper yellow than it looks in the photo – it is nearly the color of the polka dots next to it.

For handwork in June, I will continue on with the Snowman Collector project. Here is the block I am currently working on…



I have made some more progress on this since this photo was taken, so I think I should be able to at least get this block done in June.

For portable handwork, I am working on a large crochet project. Here is a peek…



Yes, it will be a sunflower. Once I finish up this first one, I only have 50 more to go! This will be a project I can take with me to our weekly Bee as well as working on it in the evenings. I’m looking forward to this one taking shape.

So, that’s a whole lot of stuff! I’m way behind on some QALs for this year, including the following:
Scrap Dance Two-Step Mystery @ From My North Carolina Home
Have a Jolly Little Christmas @ Sew Fresh Quilts

If I feel the need and I have the time, I may work on some blocks for these Quilt-A-Longs. Mostly likely though, they will have to wait until later in the summer.

And…I’m a glutton for punishment. I really have missed the NewFO parties that Barbara used to have at Cat Patches. I think she stopped doing them about a year and a half ago. But I LOVE starting new projects. It’s so fun and exciting (that’s probably why I have so many UFOs!) But since I have completed some of my UFOs this year, I feel like just maybe I can start a new project or two (or three) in June if I find the time…or if I just feel like it! And some are gifts, so I figured that's OK...right? I have a few projects in mind…

First, I want to at least work through a practice project from Cynthia England from her book Picture Piecing



I picked up this book along with a pattern and some kits at the quilt show in March, and I’m antsy to work on them. I have traced the practice project onto freezer paper…I just need to grab some fabrics and get started on it. And just so you know, the guy at the booth recommended doing the practice projects first (they are free on her website), so you can get the feel of the process before committing to the “real” project.

I also want to get started on Merrily…



I was going to start this in May, but things got away from me these past two weeks and it didn’t happen. Maybe in June.

And finally (yes, finally!) I have decided to start on a special quilt for my daughter that I have been wanting to make for a while now. I was going to wait until 2018 to start, then realized she will graduate with her Master’s Degree (fingers-crossed!) in one year, and this might be a great graduation gift. I have wanted to make her a library book quilt (Google book shelf quilt or something similar and you’ll see what I mean). My daughter has always loved books and reading…in fact, when she was really little (like 2 years old) she wouldn’t sleep with stuffed animals or toys; she would fall asleep hugging whichever book we read to her before bed, and with her free hand she would thumb the pages of a tiny Little Golden Book (“Big Bird’s Busy Day”) to fall asleep. I think she was about 7 years old before she stopped sleeping with books and started sleeping with a stuffed animal. When she started third grade we started homeschooling her and I have kept a list of all the books she has read for school and pleasure. It’s a LOT of books! So, I want to make a quilt with the books on her list. At the moment, I’m planning on embroidering the titles/authors on the spines on the books, but things may change as I go along. I also plan on having our two cats hanging out somewhere on the bookshelves. This will be a big project, but I don’t think the sewing will be very hard; mostly placement of books, etc. But I do hope to get started planning and selecting some fabric in June. I’m looking forward to this project!

OK, now that’s it. Really. Way too much stuff, but fortunately I don’t have any deadlines. I will just keep plugging away at it all and (hopefully) enjoy the process. I guess I need to get to it! Have a great Thursday!

I will be linking up at the following:
Needle and Thread Thursday @ My Quilt Infatuation

One Monthly Goal @ Elm Street Quilts

2 comments:

  1. The project for your daughter sounds wonderful. What a great graduation gift. Enjoy your stitching this month, you've got some fun stuff in the works. (I miss Barbara's NewFO linkies too, but to be honest, I'm still working to get all those starts off the UFO list).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! All that sewing sounds like lots of fun. Good luck with your goals! You've reminded me that I should pull out that Halloween spiderweb quilt I didn't finish last year... :P Now is the time to work on it. :)

    ReplyDelete