Pages

Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Rabbit Trails…

I’m really good at taking rabbit trails, and Lori Kennedy at The Inbox Jaunt is a wonderful enabler! I truly love her blog and I have one of her Craftsy classes which is a lot of fun. Lori has graciously offered several FMQ tutorials on her blog, but I have always been involved in other projects and have just not taken the time to follow along. Yesterday she posted about a new Quilt-a-Long she is hosting and I decided to participate. For this Quilt-a-Long, she is using a pieced top rather than a whole cloth/solid piece to practice FMQ. I have lots of 2-1/2 inch strips leftover from the Jol quilt top, so I thought they would be perfect to make the half-square triangles (HST) needed for Lori’s QAL. This morning Lori posted information about cutting the HST, but I jumped ahead yesterday and went ahead and cut mine out…



To make HST squares I usually sew two squares together, mark a line in the center diagonally, then stitch up either side of the line, cut on the marked line, and ta-da!…two HST squares. Since I’m using 2-1/2 inch strips, and the finished unit will be 2 inches, I couldn’t use that method, so I went to my other favorite way to make HST…the Easy Angle Ruler…



Our task for this week for the QAL is to get our HST squares pieced. I plan on getting those done today and sewn into strips of ten. Then I will wait until next week to get the sashing pieces together. Once this is completed it should be about the size of a table runner.

Speaking of Jol…I loaded the backing onto the long arm frame. This is the fabric I am using for the back…



I got the batting for this quilt and the Gypsy Wife yesterday, so I will go ahead and get the batting and the top loaded on the long arm and maybe I will get started on that today.

On Monday I also started the Snowman Collector embroidery and selected some “anchoring” colors that I will use throughout the project.



There are a lot of things going on in the blocks of this project, and they will require lots of colors, but I wanted to use the same colors throughout for trees, etc., to keep some continuity (and not have to search for the “right” color at a later time.) I spent a little time Monday and started on this tree block…



I hope to take some time this afternoon and possibly finish up with the green.

Yesterday I also selected some green fabrics for possibilities for the Kittens blocks for May for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge



I have one more fabric I am considering…



It doesn’t look too green in the photo, but it is a light green with the black swirly design. I really like this fabric and think it will make a good kitten block. Maybe I can get one made by the weekend.

That’s it from here for today. It is a beautiful day here in East TN, but rain is moving in tomorrow and then some colder weather for the weekend. Sounds like a great time for some indoor plans!


For today I will be linking up at Esther’s Blog for WOW: WIPs on Wednesday and at Sew Fresh Quilts for Let’s Bee Social. I hope you stop by and check out all of the wonderful projects everyone is working on…and have a wonderful Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment