Pages

Friday, April 21, 2017

Orange and (Black &) White Quilt – Done!

I finally finished this strip quilt…



I’ve been calling this the Orange and Black & White quilt for a while, because I don’t have a better name for it. I finished hand stitching down the binding yesterday, and since tomorrow is the spring UT – Knoxville “Orange and White” football game, I’m now calling this the Orange and (Black &) White quilt. Very inventive. And since this is also one of my goals for the Second Quarter of the 2017 Finish-A-Long, I can mark another project off my (long) list of “to-dos”!

I battled with the quilting machine while working on this quilt. I spent many hours over several days picking out quilting stitches because my tension just wasn’t working. Here are some of the stitches I picked out…



It doesn’t look too bad there on the top, but on the back are a whole lotta birds’ nests. Not pretty. So, I got everything un-quilted, then worked on it until I got the tension right. Finally, I was able to get it quilted with an overall meandering pattern.

Here is the back of the quilt.



The lighter fabric is left over from backing from another quilt, and the darker fabric is some black and orange from my shelves. I think it will work out just fine…but it was a pain in the neck to pick out the stitches of black thread from that dark fabric! 

I also used some cute black with white dots fabric for the binding.



Over all, I am very pleased with how it turned out. It measures at 54 inches square, so it will work nicely as a lap quilt on the couch or in the car. This is really all I have worked on for the past week, so there’s nothing else to show for my time 😊 But, it’s a finish!

I will be linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop! Whoop! I will also link up at the end of June for the SecondQuarter finishes for the 2017 Finish-A-Long at She Can Quilt.

For today, I have some computer work to do this morning, and I really need to do some cleaning and straightening up around here. We are expecting some nasty storms by this afternoon (and tomorrow afternoon) with large hail and 60 mph winds, so I may just hunker down with some crochet and hope the power stays on.


I hope all is well with you all, and have a wonderful weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah! A finish! So happy for you! My daughter would love your colors. Hopefully the tension will be good for you on your next one. So bright and happy. Love the fabrics in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your finish! It's a lovely quilt, the orange with the black and white is very effective. Shame about your quilting problems making you so much work, but you got it sorted in the end and the result was well worth it. I hope the storms pass you by without too much trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely LOVE this quilt!! I was wondering when you would finish it. Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your quilt is beautiful. I love those pops of orange.

    ReplyDelete