Pages

Monday, February 13, 2017

Suki Goes Camping is Done!



I’m so happy this quilt is completed. My hubby is going to hang it in his home office this week. It was really fun to do, and it is a very meaningful quilt. Suki is our sweet dog…



This is the photo I took of her the first day we brought her home. She was a stray who showed up at a friend’s house and the friend couldn’t keep her (because they already had 6 dogs!) We already had a big dog and wanted a second, but we didn’t want to get a tiny pup who might get hurt from our dog. But Suki was a pretty big girl when we got her and everything worked out. Here are Suki and Brandy modeling their pretty winter coats at Christmas, a year after we brought Suki home…



Suki has been lots of fun and loves to go camping, and she loves her dad more than anyone in the world (even though she is at home with me all day! And I feed her!) But Suki will be 11 this year and is slowing down. She has had torn and strained ligaments in her knees (and the surgery to go along with it), and arthritis is starting to take its toll. I don’t know how much more camping she will be able to do with us. She gets so disappointed when we go for a long walk and don’t take her. We have to take her on short walks or she can barely move afterward. Poor thing. But she’s a trooper and I know she’ll do it as long as she can move. Anyway, this quilt is a celebration of the places Suki has been camping with her dad (and me).

The pattern inspiration is from Amy Bradley Designs and is called Campers.



I selected just one trailer pattern and did it in various colors, and I tried to match the backgrounds to the camping locations. There’s a lot of artistic license, but it turned out just fine. And I think the embellishments help the quilt along too…



I used hot fix nailheads for the door handles and the shade pull, and I stitched big white buttons for the hubcaps of the trailers.

And here is the back…



I even added a hanging sleeve at the top. I also wrote a label on the backing fabric…



I rarely make and attach a label to quilts I keep here at home. I generally use a Pentel Gel Roller for Fabric pen and write the date and sign it on the backing. If it’s a dark backing, I will make a label. It’s probably just because I’m lazy and by the time I get to this point I just want to be finished and not make a label. But it all works just the same…plus, the label can’t be removed.

So, that’s it for Suki Goes Camping. This was my One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts for February (and January, and December…) and I’m excited to move on from here. It is also one of my goals for the 2017 Finish-A-Long for the First Quarter at She Can Quilt. I will be linking up with those finish parties when they go live.

For this week, I have a few things I would like to do...

Today I hope to get more Quilty365 blocks prepped to take tomorrow to Bee. I have 8 blocks done for February so far.

I hope to complete the block for the Have a Jolly Little Christmas QAL. The current block is a bow, and I plan on making two.

I WILL pull out my Sawtooth Cats quilt and do some work on it. This is my UFO for February (at Patchwork Times), and it’s been such a long time since I looked at it that I need to figure out where I’m at.

If I do any quilting this week, it will be on the Vintage Kitchen wall hanging…



This is another Finish-A-Long First Quarter goal, and I think I can do some simple quilting on it and call it a finish soon.

I will try to take some time later this week and complete some blocks for the Challenge 365. I’m way behind on this and would like to get some blocks done on it.

Finally, I may try to put together the Needlepoint Cats pillow…



I have the zippered backing, so I just need to get things stitched together and I will probably have to make a pillow insert for this project. Hopefully I can get to that this week.

One thing I probably won’t do this week is the fourth Challenge for Project Quilting at Persimon Dreams. The theme this week is Brighter the Better. I don’t have super bright fabrics in my stash and no ideas have really popped into my head on this one. I think once again I will focus on the projects in progress instead.

That’s about it for today. I’m heading out to the library for a quick errand, then I can get home and start some sewing. I hope you all have a fabulous Monday!

Linking up with:

Monday Making at Love Laugh Quilt
Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
2017Finish-A-Long at She Can Quilt
One Monthly Goal at Elm Street Quilts



12 comments:

  1. I love your Suki Goes Camping! What a great memory of happy times. It is so hard when our pets show their age. Congrats on the OMG finish! Hum, maybe this is a sign I should be working on my OMG instead of reading a lot of blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Suki Goes Camping as well! It is so beautiful and a wonderful remembrance of happy times. Camping Quilts seem to be more and more popular....maybe I should make a mini for my daughter's holiday trailer?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a very fun quilt! Love that you've Suki in each block. Congrats on a fun finish and on meeting your OMG. Happy stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow. i'd love to see the blocks close up. what a fun quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suki Goes Camping is very cute! Congrats on the OMG finish, and have fun with all of those other projects that are calling your name!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a fun cute camping quilt. You are busy with some lovely projects happening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt! Suki has been a wonderful addition to your family, we do fall in love with our pets don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Suki Goes Camping. Your quilt is so pretty. That pattern is one that I definitely do want to buy soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fun quilt. And the 2 cats hugging each other. So cute

    ReplyDelete
  10. Suki is a beautiful girl - and what a great finish! I love the campers! Thank you for participating in the FAL, on behalf of the 2017 global FAL hosts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just love your little camper quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome project! I love how much you've personalized it!

    ReplyDelete