Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Out with the Old…and In with the New

Looking back at my goals for January, it looks like I hit on all of them. The biggest disappointment is that I didn’t finish Suki Goes Camping for my One Monthly Goal…but there’s always February! So, Suki will move along and finishing that quilt will (again!) be my OMG for February. Along with the goals I set for myself this past month, I picked up a few things along the way. Let’s see what got done here in The Pieceful Kingdom in January…

I participated in two Project Quilting Challenges at Persimon Dreams, and finished both projects. The first challenge was 8 is Great, and here is my entry – Sk8 Gr8…



The second challenge was Carolina Lily, and I did a little applique with thread painting…



These were fun and quick projects, and I’m glad I participated. There is another challenge going on this week that I’m opting out of, but I hope to play again in a couple of weeks.

I also completed 8 Kennel Quilts…



These are only 5 of them, but they all look pretty much the same. I’m glad to have some ready to send off when needed. I hope to stitch at least a few more in February.

I also (finally) completed the President’s Block for our outgoing quilt guild president…



Her focus fabric was the one in the middle and we were to make any block with any other fabrics.

I also made my two purple blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge



The Kittens blocks are turning out so cute. The color for February is sea green (aqua/turquoise/teal), and I have my fabrics all ready…



I also started to follow along with the “Have a Jolly Little Christmas” QAL at Sew Fresh Quilts. She has sent out two block patterns so far. I finished the stockings…




I have the mittens block in the queue to make this week or next.

Over at Patchwork Times, Judy is challenging us to work on our UFOs this year. For January, my UFO was the Vintage Kitchen BOM from Jenny of Elefantz. I completed the embroidered blocks back in 2015, and there it sat. In January I finally put the top together…



Now it’s ready to quilt. I do hope to finish this one up in February. For the month of February, Judy has selected #9 on our UFO lists to work on. I must admit, when I read what my #9 selection was, I groaned…out loud…



This is the Sawtooth Cats quilt. I absolutely LOVE this quilt, but it is so tedious. That must be why it’s a UFO. But, I will forge ahead and get some work done on this. I need to work on paper piecing the borders and get them attached, then quilt and bind it. As I look at this photo I realize that I also need to attach A LOT of cat tails. I don’t know how far I will get on this one, but it WILL be farther along than it is now J

My most exciting finish (for me) in January was getting the stitching completed on my needlepoint cats project…



This has been over 10 years in the making. Ugh. But the stitching is done. I’m waiting on a zippered pillow back, then I can get it completely finished and off all of my sewing room lists! I hope to finish this up in February too.

I’ve made progress on my Quilty365 project…



The top three rows (21 blocks) are all stitched and done. The remaining blocks for January (the bottom two rows) are pinned and ready to stitch. These are not in any order, but they represent the projects I worked on in January, along with any special “days” (like Penguin Awareness Day, which warranted two blocks!). This will be a fun little diary of what I have done in 2017, and it gives me some hand stitching work to take to Tuesday Bee.

The other daily Challenge I have worked on…and will continue with…is Kathryn Kerr’s 365 Challenge of a block a day. I have completed the blocks for weeks 1, 2, and 4. The pieces for Week 3 blocks are cut out and ready to sew. I haven’t started on this week’s yet (Week 5), but I will get around to it by week’s end, I’m sure.

Another project I picked up in January is the Scrap Dance Mystery QAL, Two-Step, with Carole at From My North Carolina Home



I have step one done. The second step should be out in a couple of weeks. I’m using up a bunch of flannel scraps I have on my shelves for this one.

My WIP for January was working on the Wonky Halloween 9-Patch quilt, and I completed 6 blocks for that…




I love these! They are quick and easy, with no seams to match. I will continue with my goal of completing three blocks each week in February.

I’ve also worked on some embroidery. My Autumn’s Call project is another hand stitching project I take to Tuesday Bee, and I’ve gotten a bit of work done on it in January…



Since I usually just work on this for a couple of hours a week, it won’t be done quickly, but it is fun to work on. And since I finished my needlepoint cats, I decided to get my next big stitching project going and I’ve traced out the Snowman Collector from The Stitch ConnectionI copied the block patterns and cut them up and rearranged them onto one piece of fabric, so this will basically be an embroidered panel instead of piecing the embroidered blocks. I intend to use the same coloring techniques I used on Autumn’s Call, rather than making this a redwork project. I am anxious to get this one going.

In February I plan on continuing with all of the projects/challenges from January, plus I have a couple of additional projects I hope to spend some time on. Today I will take a break from everything else and work on this cute little mini from Temecula Quilt Company

Image from Temecula Quilt Company


This is called Box of Chocolates and will be great in my table top quilt stand for Valentine’s Day next week. I have all the fabrics picked out already…



…and I’m ready to go.

I’m also hoping to start the quilting on my neutral Gypsy Wife…



I found some YLI variegated thread I want to use, so now I just need to wait on the backing fabric and make sure I have batting for it. I think I will do some simple quilting on it, but I can’t wait to get this one done.

I think that’s it…and that’s enough! It looks like a whole lotta stuff to do, but most of it is block piecing, so it is actually less overwhelming in reality than it looks on paper! I will be linking up at the following, and I hope you check them out to see some great projects…and have a wonderful Wednesday!

February UFO at Patchwork Times
One Monthly Goal Setting at Elm Street Quilts
Quilty365 at Daisy and Jack One Stitch at a Time




7 comments:

  1. what a productive month!! I'm impressed and inspired....love your circles and the intended Valentine's quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rollover goals are good - it will get done! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck with your project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you are very busy. I'm visiting from daisy and jack handmade. Congrats on you January blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such lovely projects happening at your place. I am also working on my 366 daily circles and trying to now get them into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow so many goals and achievements - loving your circle blocks ! thanks for linking up :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of variety in your workroom! Love all your cat themed projects:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, you've got some great projects going. Love your Kitties for the RSC challenge. Congrats on all the progress in January and good luck with your February goals.

    ReplyDelete