Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2017

It Was a Wonky Wednesday

Yesterday I spent a part of the afternoon starting my Wonky 9-Patch Halloween quilt. I’ve had the fabric together for at least a couple of months, and I had it on my list to start in 2017. I felt like a change yesterday, so I went ahead and started it.

I had initially planned to use a Halloween layer cake (10” pre-cut), but couldn’t find one I liked. So, I searched through my fabric shelves and came up with 42 different fabrics that would actually work. I then cut all of these into 10” squares, and sorted them into stacks of threes. Yesterday I worked on one stack. Here are the three fabrics I worked with…



I took the three squares and stacked them up. At this point I had to make sure that everything was in the right direction. Two of my three fabrics are directional – I didn’t want the bats flying in all different directions, nor did I want the kitties standing on their heads. Once they were settled, I cut them twice horizontally, then twice again vertically.



You don’t want to make drastically angled cuts, but you don’t want them to be parallel either.

Then I set out each fabric with its cut pieces…



At this point, I left the center pieces where they were, then I moved the corner pieces to the right once, and the side pieces to the left once, to mix them all up. If you want you can just randomly move pieces around, but I wanted to do mine this way. Here is how they looked at that point…

Ready to piece

Then I started piecing each block. I needed to do them one block at a time because I didn’t want to mess it up. When you stitch the pieces together, they don’t look like this thing will work out at all…



But just match the corners and sew. Pretty soon I had three rows done…



When sewing the rows together, I just matched the end corners and stitched it up…



There is no matching of the inner seams of the block, though the seams are pretty close to each other. It’s pretty easy sewing. 

Note: if your inner seams appear to be WAY off you will want to double-check that you are sewing the rows in the correct order; ask me how I know (rip, rip, rip).

Once I got the rows done, I had one cute little Wonky 9-Patch block…



I finished up the other two, now I have three complete…



Only 39 to go! These started as 10” squares and they all measure at 9” now. I’m hoping I won’t have to trim any off the blocks, but I’ll worry about that once all 42 blocks are done.

So, that was my Wednesday afternoon. I’m hoping to do a set of three of these blocks each week. At that rate, the blocks should be done some time in the spring, and it won’t take too much of my time. In the end I plan to sash these with black strips and then I’ll figure out what to do with it at that point. Maybe this will even be done by Halloween 2017 (in my dreams!).


For today I will be linking up at Needle and Thread Thursday at My Quilt Infatuation. I have to run the cat to the vet this morning…still trying to figure out her thyroid problems. When I get back I plan on working on more quilt blocks. I hope you all have a great Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Cute blocks! It sounds like you have a plan for getting this quilt finished by Halloween. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete