Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Winding Down

We have been busy around here in November, so I haven’t posted in a while. We finally have everything repaired and painted from our flood in early November, so now I can get back to something close to normal. We even decided to repaint and replace the flooring in the family room…



It’s looking pretty good. The family room is right next to my sewing room and initially I was going to move my sewing room in there, but hubby decided to move his office from upstairs into the family room. Now we can both be down here at the same time instead of in opposite ends of the house.

On Sunday I raked up all of the leaves in the front yard and got them to the back yard for composting/mulching…



The dog likes to inspect the leaf piles – then jump in! This was the first time I have raked the yard this fall. That is extremely unusual. Usually Thanksgiving weekend is the last of 4 or 5 times that I have to rake. I’m sure there will be some more raking in my future since we are having rainstorms this week which will probably blow the remaining leaves off of the trees.

I’ve done very little sewing the past couple of weeks. The fires nearby in the Smoky Mountains has been foremost in our minds the past several days. The loss of life and injuries are heart breaking, as is the loss of homes and livelihoods. We usually head up to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg several times a year, and always at Christmas time for our daughter’s birthday and Winterfest (and some outlet shopping). But I’m not sure how the fires will affect everything going on with Winterfest. I grew up with wildfires in California, but have never seen anything like this since we’ve lived here (19 years). Hopefully the rains we are having this week will douse the rest of the flames all over East Tennessee. Our thoughts are with all of those who have been affected by these fires.

With December here, it’s time for me to look back at November. I was able to finish the remaining 6 backgrounds for the blocks in a quilt I’m making as a gift



The rest of the work on this quilt will be fusible applique, then I will sew the pieces down as I quilt it. Completing this quilt will be my One Monthly Goal for December, since I hope to have it done by the 25th!

I started on another embroidery project this week.



This is a design from Crabapple Hill Studio. I love their patterns. I traced this one out on white fabric with a brown Pigma pen…



Then I colored it in and heat set it…



As you can see I already started working on it this week at Tuesday Bee. I spray basted some thin batting to the backside of the fabric, so as I’m embroidering it I’m sort of quilting it. I wanted to try this with a small pattern before I try it on a larger project I will start after the first of the year. I think I might get this one done this month.

The only other project I really would like to complete this month is a block for the outgoing President of our quilting guild. Here is the fabric she chose…



I can make any kind of block I want, using any colors. I have an idea of what I will do, so we’ll see how it turns out.

Today I need to finish straightening up my sewing room. It became a disaster when we had to clear out the other rooms from the flood (plus my own tornado-like skills in my sewing room). I have my closet, fabric, and books all neatly organized, and now I just have to figure out what to do with all of the rest of the crafty stuff. Some is going to the garbage and some is going to the donation station.


That’s it from here. I’m going to be linking up today with My Quilt Infatuation for Needle and Thread Thursday, and with Elm Street Quilts for the December Goals for One Monthly Goal. Head over for some great projects…and have a wonderful Thursday!

3 comments:

  1. I love that embroidery pattern... enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your quilt come together. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you've been able to recover from all the flooding. Hope your sewing room is now all straight and you can really get going on your holiday stitching. Your new embroidery project is so pretty. Looking forward to seeing that one completed.

    ReplyDelete