Pages

Monday, December 26, 2016

Planning for 2017

Yvonne at Quilting JetGirl is hosting a planning party, and I thought I would join in. I always have lots of plans for the year…way more than I have time for. But, without having some kind of plan, I would probably just wander along and forget about some things I hoped to complete.

I plan on continuing with the same linky parties I’ve been doing this year, and I will probably add others as I come across them. I’m also adding a couple of programs to my quilting life this year. First, I will be doing Kathryn Kerr’s 365 Challenge in 2017. I know what the quilt will look like, so it’s not a mystery (I tend to peter out on mysteries when I don’t know where it’s leading). I also have my fabrics picked out, so I am ready for January 1. I don’t think I will get to a block each day on this, but I hope to get the week’s blocks done in 2-3 days each week.

I’m also going to participate in Get It Done over at Patchwork Times. Judy will be challenging us to work on one UFO per month. This might dovetail into the One Monthly Goal (OMG) over at Elm Street Quilts, though my UFO list for Get It Done is primarily piecing and finishing tops. I think I will be using OMG to try to finish the quilting and binding on some projects, though some months these two may overlap.

A goal I have set for myself for 2017 is to become at least proficient on my long arm machine. I have had it for 2 years now and I’m still not comfortable with it, primarily because I don’t use it enough. So, I hope to be on it at least once per month.

I will also continue with my stitching projects. I have embroidery and cross stitch projects going and hope to make some progress on them, especially the really old ones!

I want to spend a little more time with non-quilting sewing this year as well. I have fabric I bought to make pillowcases and bags, and I hope to spend more time on those projects.

I also have all of these books:



These run the gamut of crafting techniques, and I would like to spend some time working on at least a couple of projects or techniques from some of these books. I bought them for a reason, so I need to use them!

Which brings me to Craftsy classes – I have loads of classes and most of them I have just watched and not done the projects. I would like to work on projects or techniques from 2 or 3 of my Craftsy classes this year. Again, I bought ‘em; I might as well use ‘em!

Just a few other items I would like to work on this year…

Become more proficient at knitting socks and hats

Spend more time hand quilting

Take a class at a local quilt shop

Spend more time on my genealogy research

Complete a Stitch Book for my decorative stitches on my sewing machine

Make a Crayola Color Chart with my Crayola crayons for my color tinted embroidered projects

Get a couple of larger quilts completed for donation (this month I donated a couple of baby quilts for the fire victims in the Smoky Mountains; they also needed larger quilts for boys and men, so I hope to have some made up and ready to go if needed)

Get some Kennel Quilts made up and ready to send out when needed

Get more Ronald McDonald House quilts ready to go for our quilt guild

That’s all I can think of now. I know I have tons more I could add, but I’ll stop here. I hope to enjoy my time in my sewing room more this year, and not feel pressed to complete things. Right now, working on projects and moving them forward is fine.

So, that’s it. I hope you all are having a great holiday and are looking forward to the new year. I will probably slink off and hibernate for another week or so until my daughter leaves after the first of the year to head back to school. In the meantime, I will probably mostly be working on hand stitching projects so I’m not locked away in my sewing room away from the family. I will be linking up at Quilting JetGirl for the 2017 Planning Party. Head on over to see what everyone is dreaming of for 2017.





2 comments:

  1. I bet you will find a good rhythm and ease with your longarm once you commit to using it a bit more. They definitely each have a "personality" and take some getting used to. Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your goals. I wish you a wonderful and productive 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have lots of great goals! Hope the new year makes it possible for you to enjoy leaning into them. Getting back at your long-arm sounds like fun, and like it would be a great help with the charity quilts you are working on.

    ReplyDelete