Pages

Friday, October 14, 2016

Friday Finishes

I had one finish earlier this week. I completed the quilt top for the neutral Gypsy Wife! Yay! Here it is on our new loveseat…



Now I need to figure out a backing for it and then quilt it. I hope to get to the quilting before the end of the year, but I just don’t know if it will happen. I guess if I make it happen it will happen. I have a few other items I would like to finish up for Christmas, so I will have to put this in line behind those.

Another finish this week will be the final Gypsy Wife class tomorrow at the local quilt shop. It has been a fun experience for me, and a nice way to get my feet wet in quilting classes. We started back in January and met once a month to go over each section of GW. I never would have completed even one of these tops, let alone two of them, if I hadn’t taken the class.

Once I finished the neutral GW top I pieced the backing of the batik version and started quilting it. I think I am almost done with all of the quilting I plan to do with the walking foot. Right now I have just done a serpentine stitch down the seam lines of the background strips and a straight stitch around each block…



I don’t know if you can really see the quilting in the photo. I’m using a YLI 70 weight Khaki colored piecing thread that I love. I don’t want the quilting to really stand out on this quilt because the pattern is so busy, so I like how this blends in well and is thin enough to not be too obvious. I am still thinking about how to quilt the blocks. I will probably use a simple square/diamond swirl in the square in the square blocks, and possibly more stitch in the ditch in the more complex blocks. For right now, I’m happy with my progress.

So that’s all for this week. Today is laundry day and more quilting on the GW. I hope to get that done and the binding attached by next weekend. Completing the GW batik quilt is my One Monthly Goal for October, so I’m glad to be on my way to completing it. For today I will be linking up with Sarah at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for Can I Get a Whoop! Whoop!


I hope you all have a wonderful and safe weekend!

1 comment: