Pages

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Batiks, Turkeys, and Scraps

Yesterday I was able to finish Section 6 of the batik version of Gypsy Wife…



I believe this is the largest section in the quilt. Only one more section to go!  For Section 6, I had more problems again with fitting it together. The strange thing is that all of my blocks and strip sets are the correct finished lengths, but they don’t fit together the way they should. If you look at the top left, you can see a dark brown horizontal strip. I had to add that because that left hand section was nearly ¾ of an inch off. The bottom is also very uneven. I know seams can be different, but because I have had similar problems in other sections I have been extremely careful about measuring and checking as I go. There have been others in my class who have mentioned similar problems, so I really think there are issues with measurements in the pattern…but it could also just be me. When I make the neutral version of this section I will try to make the strips in the top left corner longer. There are a few other spots in this section I will have to fudge some as well.

So, that was a finish for yesterday. I also finished up the second Thanksgiving table topper top…



I am making this one without the strips on each end. It is still over 40 inches long, which makes the other one nearly 50 inches. Today I will start quilting this using this King Tut thread from Superior Threads…



I picked up several spools of King Tut from a former quilt guild member who was clearing out her sewing room. I bought a few dozen spools of a variety of threads for about $15 last year. I figured it was an inexpensive way to try out some different brands.

And finally, a Scrap Problem count…so far in August I have been doing quite a bit of piecing so I have stitched together 87 pairs of squares as Leaders & Enders (and In-betweeners!) I will be quilting for a few days so I probably won’t get as many done in the next week, but I’m off to a good start with them for this month.


That’s it from here. The pupster is at the vet today having minor surgery, so it should be pretty quiet here. I will likely spend quite a bit of time quilting. I hope you all have a terrific Tuesday!

1 comment:

  1. I like your batik version of GW, haven't seen one like it! The original pattern had quite a few irregularities but so far my GW is going together ok. There are some helpful tips & tricks over here- http://hydeeannsews.blogspot.co.nz/p/gypsy-wife-2016.html

    ReplyDelete