Pages

Friday, July 29, 2016

July Finishes

There are not a lot of finishes here in July, but I did accomplish a few things.

First, I was able to complete Section 9 for both versions of the Gypsy Wife quilt.



I like how these are both turning out, and the end is getting closer.

I also finished up the applique for the Butterfly Sampler for Sue Spargo’s Craftsy class…



Now it’s ready for some embroidery embellishment…when I find the time.

I also put together the two sections of the Sawtooth Stars top…



This is from the 2015 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy. Now that this part is done I plan to get the borders done by the end of the year.

And finally, I got my daughter’s flannel quilt done! Yay! This was my One Monthly Goal for July, and I finished the binding on Wednesday, then got it washed and ready to go yesterday.



There’s nothing special about the pattern or anything, it’s just something I wanted to make for my daughter because she will be moving next month to where they actually have winter weather…sometimes brutal. So hopefully this will help keep her warm as she is studying on those cold winter nights.

This quilt was my first really big venture into using pre-cuts. I made these blocks with layer cakes (10 inch squares). I have always been a pre-washer, so I have been hesitant about using pre-cuts, since they are not all that easy to pre-wash, but I do believe this project has made me a convert! The blocks were super simple…just take half of the layer cake and cut it horizontally and vertically and the other half is cut both ways diagonally. Then just switch pieces around and make four-patches and hour-glass blocks. I bought fabric for the border/binding and backing from the same fabric line as the layer cake, and I used Hobbs’ Tuscany Wool batting. I ran it through the wash after it was all put together and there was very minimal shrinkage…just enough to look cozy. I am so pleased with how it turned out and my daughter likes it too.

So I think that’s it from here for July. I went through all of my projects and came up with a list of things I want to have completed by Christmas. I think I will get started on that today. This weekend will be a Ronald McDonald House Charity Quilts Sit & Sew for our guild, then next week at the guild meeting we will learn a bit about EQ7. Hubby and I have been looking into it, but I just don’t know if it is worthwhile for me to buy. He’s going to the meeting with me so we can both (hopefully) get some more information. I hope you all have a great weekend!

Linking up with:

Can I Get a Whoop! Whoop! at Confessions of a Fabric Addict
One Monthly Goal Finishes at Red Letter Quilts

3 comments:

  1. Lots going on here, but first, congrats on your cozy finish! The wool should be perfect for winter weather. I am looking forward to seeing more of your Gypsy Wives, especially that neutral! Love the Spargo applique your doing too, it is wool yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your goal quilt looks great. I love the butterflies, too, even if you don't embellish it at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your daughter's quilt looks charming. Simple can be just as lovely as complex designs. You used the colors so nicely. Good going on the Gypsy Wives. I would never attempt it. And the stars are shining brightly. BTW, my post is acting weird, just hit the Home button and it will show up.

    ReplyDelete