Pages

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge

For the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this month I am trying a new technique for me – sewing curves on the machine. I have never tried this before, and I have been watching the Craftsy class “Playing with Curves” with Ann Petersen, and I decided to give it a try. So, I picked up a couple of Drunkard’s Path rotary templates…



These will create 7” and 3-1/2” finished blocks.

I’ve gotten some of the pieces cut. I think I am done cutting the larger pieces, so now I will concentrate on cutting more of the smaller pieces. Here is what I have cut so far…



I plan on creating circles with the blocks and surrounding the three large circles with smaller circles. At least that’s the plan now.

So, I got all the pieces done for the large blocks and I put my first one together…



Not too bad. This may not seem like much to some people, but I try to avoid sewing anything but squares and rectangles as much as humanly possible. This is an entirely new frontier for me. I also really like the colors for June, so instead of just using the greens for accents, I’m going full-on with them. Here is where I left them yesterday…



The first circle! I really like it - I think it's the colors.

Today we will be heading out to do a little Shop Hop-ping. We’re hoping to get to several shops today, but I’m not sure how many we’ll actually get to, but I’m excited to head out. I think this coming week I will go to three more shops that are in different directions, so there is a good chance I could get to all 12 shops before this thing is over. I’ll keep you posted.


I will be linking up at So Scrappy with Angela for the June Rainbow Scrap Challenge link-up. Head over to see some wonderful projects!

18 comments:

  1. Very pretty. It looks way outside my comfort zone to make. So I will enjoy seeing your blocks instead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, the colors and shapes are so cheerful together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cool! I have made a NY Beauty quilt but I haven't made a drunkard's path before. Does having the templates help?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on trying out a new technique; the result is terrific! I love those scrappy circles; so dynamic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look great! Sewing with curves is also something I have never done, but on my list to try. Do you recommend the Craftsy class?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Drunkard's Path blocks and pieces are gorgeous! And yes, it does have a lot to do with the colors you've pulled - they're wonderful! (I have the Go dies for both sizes)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks you've got planned. I'm a scaredy cat when it comes to anything that is not a straight seam, your first attempt turned out almost perfect. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great you decide to go out of your confort zone, new techinique and beautiful quilt in the future. Have a gread weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colors! I always worry about which way to press the seams on curved pieces. Just wondering which way you're pressing them. This looks like it will be an amazing quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are right the colours are scrumptious! You have done an excellent job on putting it together....not sure I could do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray!! for learning a new technique. Your circle turned out beautifully. Good choice to go all out with the AQUA and lime!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kudos to you for tackling those circles. I'm still afraid to try. Your plan for the layout will be very interesting too. Good luck with the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love those colours. But I have not started my June blocks yet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful fabrics in your blocks. This one is on my 'someday' list. Good to know you are being successful with the sewing of curves. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Always good to push the limits and challenge ourselves. Lovely colour combinations in your circle.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done! Both for the courage to try something new, and for the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous. Great techniques and even greater colour combinations. I love acid green.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great blocks! Have fun with the new technique!

    ReplyDelete