Pages

Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Scraps Finish for May

I decided to get my green and brown scraps under control in May, and I think I did! I emptied out my green scrap bucket…



And I went through my big (unsorted) scrap bin, and I started to tame that fabric!  I was able to put a lot of scraps into the 2-1/2” and 1-1/2” strip bins, along with the 2-1/2” square bin. I also cut up some of my scraps and added to those bins, along with cutting more 5x2-1/2” rectangles. After all of that, I was just left with the crumbs…



I decided to give crumb piecing another try, so I started putting all of these pieces together, bit by bit. After I got some of them to about 6 or 7 inches, I started putting them together into a strip. Then, I trimmed it up, added some Kona Stone fabric to the sides, and made a nice little table topper for the dining room…



I used Insul-Brite as the batting, so it will protect the table from hot serving dishes. For the backing I used a 20 year old piece of dark green fabric.



You can see the simple quilting I used on the back of the project. I’m so happy to be able to use up some old fabric!

So, all of my green scraps (and most of my brown scraps) have been sorted and put away, or used in something now.  I still have lots of crumb pieced green/brown scraps…



…and I am trying to think of a project to put them into. I may make some potholders (I have lots of Insul-Brite), or I may use them to make applique leaves on a quilt top or wall hanging. I’m really not sure at the moment. But, they are in their own project box, so they are “put away”.

That’s it for my May scraps. I will be spending the last few days of May working on other projects. In the meantime, I will be linking up at Confessions of a Fabric Addict for the Finishes Party for May’s I May Have a Scrap Problem. Head over to see how everyone is taming their scraps!


3 comments:

  1. Those are exactly the colors I have been working with! Love what you have done with your scraps. I will have to keep that in mind for my next bunch of scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck sorting and using your scraps. It always feels good to take our scraps and beautiful quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on taming your scraps! Your table runner is really pretty. Thanks for sharing the idea of using insul-brite. This is the first time I've read that tip but it's really very smart. Actually, the whole project is smart!

    ReplyDelete