Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Wonderful Wednesday


It’s a beautiful day today in East Tennessee with sunny skies and highs predicted in the upper 60s. Sounds pretty good to me!

Yesterday I spent some time cutting scraps into 2-1/2” strips with my AccuQuilt cutter, so while it was out I decided to go ahead and cut some fat quarters into strips. Here are 18 fat quarters all cut…



These are all dog and cat novelty fabrics that have been sitting on my shelves for a while. When reading my latest American Quilter magazine I saw an article about The Quilt Pattern Magazine – Small Kennel Quilt Team. The quilts are very small – 12 by 18 inches – so I figured these could easily fit into my week…and I was right!

This morning I took one stack of cut strips (from 3 fat quarters) and sewed them into strip sets…



Then I cut those into 6-1/2” squares and put them into tops. Here is one top…



And here are the three tops I finished this morning…



It took me one hour to get these put together (not counting the cutting yesterday). I think this can easily be fit into my sewing time each week. I still need to get these put into quilts. They are made “pillow-cover” style with no binding – just put right sides together with batting and stitch around the edges, turn, hand stitch closed, then quilt. Nothing fancy; primarily utilitarian. I will get these three tops done hopefully by the weekend. Check out the web site if you are interested in making some fun quick quilts, or you have kids who want to learn to make quilts – and help out some animals at the same time! You could even check with local animal shelters or vets in your area to see if they are looking for something similar, just to keep it local. I will probably check with our vet since they hold stray or surrendered cats for adoption.


The rest of my day will probably be spent quilting Log Cabin Leaves, making some granola, and (hopefully) finishing up the Vintage Holiday stitching – it’s close!  I hope you have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment