Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge – Orange!

I love orange. Have I mentioned that? I have plenty of orange fabric, both on my shelves and in the scrap bin. For this week I took Angela’s suggestion to heart and used orange with some black. Actually, with some black and white.

I have lots of black and white scrap strips from last year’s Halloween quilt, and I had leftover orange 2-1/2” jelly roll strips from making the Halloween table runner. So I decided to work with those first. I cut all of the orange strips into 10 inch lengths, then got all of the black and white strips pressed and sorted.



I just decided to wing it and sew strips to each side of the orange fabric until I had a big enough block for a 9-1/2” unfinished block…



I really have no idea what I will end up doing with these blocks, but it’s using fabric that is just sitting around in bags taking up space, so that’s good. After sewing strips for a couple of days I had some big enough to cut, so I cut them and put them on the design wall.  I have 17 ready to go…



I don’t know how I am going to eventually lay them out, but this is a start. I have a total of 36 blocks going, and the remaining 19 are almost done. Maybe by next Saturday I will have the blocks all done and put into a quilt top. That would be great!


I will be linking up at So Scrappy for the April Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Stop by for some wonderful projects!

15 comments:

  1. I'm a bigtime orange-lover, too, so your blocks are really making me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super combo -- however you lay these out, it will be a fun, happy quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE where you are headed with these ORANGE blocks!! (Even if it may not be anything like what you end up with.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your orange blocks. I am a big fan of black and white with pops of bright colors. Can't wait to see what you end up with...

    ReplyDelete
  5. a very effective way to use your scraps! I love the basket weave you have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great use of those strips. I love the single orange accent in each rail fence block, very dramatic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGoodness, I LOVE these blocks! I have seen black/white quilts with teal or lime green or purple, but never orange! Very, very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great start to a new quilt top! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Black&White with orange, I like the blocks you came up this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very striking! So how will you fill the space now that you are clearing out that fabric?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is such a great idea! I like your layout, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, the colors you chose look amazing together. What a great beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love these colors and this project is looking good!

    ReplyDelete