Pages

Monday, March 21, 2016

Another Monday

This time in March is usually such a nice time around East Tennessee. Everything is starting to come up in the garden, daffodils are in full bloom, and the sun is shining. It’s a little chilly today, but it should be mostly in the 60s and no rain for the most of the week, so all in all it’s good. If only the allergens left town! There is a good reason this area of the country has high incidences of asthma. We’ll be postponing any car washing for another month or so until all of the pollen is gone and cars are no longer all yellow. Growing up in Southern California I never had allergy problems, but since I have been here (nearly 19 years) I have developed year-round allergies. Such fun. But fortunately it is something I can live with. Anyway, I still love it here!

I didn’t really get much accomplished last week, but I was able to finish FMQ on the Snowmen Wall Hanging for our Quilt Show small quilt sale…



I still need to attach the binding and then hand stitch it down. This is my OMG for March, so I have 10 days to get that done. I also have a few charity quilts that need to have binding attached, so I hope to get to those before the end of the month as well. I should just have a “Binding Attachment Day” and get them all done!

Over the weekend I put in a little stitching on the Vintage Skate embroidery…



…very little. This is actually the same photo as yesterday, but I did spend about one-half hour stitching on Sunday. It’s coming along nicely. I would like to spend a bit more time this week working on it.

For the remainder of this week, I have a few things I’d like to get to.

First, I need to continue cleaning up my sewing room. I may start moving it out into the sunroom until next winter. During the winter it just gets so cold in there, but I can bear it the remainder of the year. It just has so much natural light that I enjoy sewing out there. Also, I should be getting a new desk top computer on Tuesday, so I need a place for it. We are getting a big screen for it, since my eyes are going a bit more quickly than I’d like, and it won’t fit in the computer desk upstairs. Plus, my laptop has been giving me fits since we got it several years ago. Just weird things happen to it. Once I loaded Windows 10 onto it I have had nothing but problems. I think it was probably a bad computer (as in a lemon) to begin with, and Windows 10 didn’t sit well with it. So, I’m looking forward to getting the new computer and putting it in the sewing room, and getting the computer out of the dining room.

While cleaning up (and out) the sewing room, I hope to do a bit more with my Scrap Problem. I haven’t done a whole lot with it, but the progress report for it will be a week from Wednesday, so I need to get something done! We’ll see what I can accomplish there.

Also, I would like to get my Log Cabin Leaves quilted before the end of the month. Finishing this quilt was one of my goals for the First Quarter of the 2016 Finish-Along. The deadline is March 31, so I hope to get it quilted, bound, and done by then.

Those are a lot of things to accomplish this week, but if it bleeds over into next week, that’s fine with me.

There are also a few long-term projects that I will be working on as well. I am making two versions of The Gypsy Wife. Here they are in neutrals and in batiks…





I am taking a class with this, so I have two more sections to complete in the next month for each of these. They are small sections so it should only take 2-3 days for each one.

I’m also working on the Tuxedo’s Tales BOM. I have January done…



I added a hat to the snowman because I didn't get his head especially round. I also added whiskers to Tuxedo...because a cat must have whiskers! Now I need to get working on February. I’m still waiting on the March kit, but I expect it any time.

And my final long-term goal is an embroidery project and it will begin once I am done with the Vintage Skate. I am going to embroider The Snowman Collector from The Stitch Connection. I am not going to make the quilt in the pattern. I have decided to make one large embroidery panel with the embroidery blocks. Here I have them laid out on the table…



I have since taped them to a large piece of paper and have dividing lines between the blocks. I will probably embroider the dividing lines with a fly stitch all the way around all of the blocks. I haven’t decided yet if I will make this a redwork project or not. I am leaning towards embroidering it with all different colors rather than a single color. Once the panel is done, I will then add pieced borders and quilt it. I’m sure this will take me a while, so it will be my long term embroidery project.

That’s about it for now. I’m looking forward to a productive week and some more seasonal weather! I hope you all have a great week and a wonderful Easter. I will be linking up at the following:

Main Crush Monday at Cooking Up Quilts
The Stitchery Party at Super Mom – No Cape




3 comments:

  1. I love the low volume Gypsy Wife. It'll be simply gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your To Do list sounds familiar...my green scrap bin is overflowing and the lid won't fit so it's time to do something with it. You have a lot going on - I hope you have a great week! Thanks for linking to MCM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love that neutral Gypsy Wife! I like your plan for the snowman stitchery. That's a great idea!

    ReplyDelete