Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Sampler Done!



Yesterday I finally finished the binding on the Sampler quilt, and I even signed it…



This Sampler was my One Monthly Goal for January, and it is one of my projects for the First Quarter of the 2016 Finish-Along. It’s nice to have this one done!

This was a great quilt to use to practice on the long arm. I had all kinds of trouble getting the tension right, but I think it is set now. The quilting is not great…I still am much better at FMQ on my home machine…but I am determined to become at least proficient at using the long arm quilting machine. I have so many big quilts that will just be easier to do on the long arm. Anyway, it’s done. This quilt will just be a utility quilt around the house. For quilts like this I don’t make a label; I usually just write on the back. This time I used a new Pentel Roller Gel pen made for fabric.



It was really easy and smooth writing on the fabric with this pen. I think I will keep giving it a try and see how I like it.  I used to use these Tee Juice Fineliners to make labels…



They work fine. I found them to be much better than even Pigma markers. I found the Pigma markers to bleed a little. I just wasn’t especially happy with the Tee Juice pens though. Here is a sample of a label using them.



Recently I found these Edding pens at a local quilt shop…



I really like these. Here is an example of a label using these pens…



I think they have nice sharp lines and I really like them. But when I saw a recommendation of the Pentel Gel Pen I decided to give it a try. I think it will be OK. Though I think my preference is with the Edding pens, I will probably continue to use all three of these depending on the project.

Right after lunch yesterday I took a break from hand stitching the binding on the Sampler to put a charity quilt on the long arm and get a little more practice in. It took me about an hour and a half in total, and I got the quilting done. I did a loopy circle all over pattern that I plan to use on the next quilt I put on the long arm, so this gave me a little practice. Here is the (crazy busy!) front…



It’s a little hard to see the quilting, so here is the bright pink plaid pieced backing where you can see the quilting a little better…



I plan on finding some binding fabric for this and getting it attached this week.


That’s about it from here. It’s another cold day here and another day I don’t have to go out of the house. That means I get to hang out doing things at home. For now, I will be linking up with Mel’s Quilting Room for Fiber Tuesdays. I hope you all have a great Tuesday!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful quilts almost finished! Great job. Thanks for the pen recommendations...I saw the post about the gel pen too, and might give it a try.

    ReplyDelete