Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge – January Blue

This week I finished the blue tote for January…



I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out. I think I have avoided making totes and bags because I thought they might be too involved. But this was really not too hard, I learned a couple of things, and I’m happy with it.

Originally I was going to use the blue solid fabric in this photo for the lining…



When I cut and sewed it, I found that it was a wee bit too small. So I grabbed some Kona black and re-made the lining and got it attached…



I changed up the pattern just a tiny bit by adding magnetic snaps to the tote and the side pocket. I also sewed the straps in the seam instead of top stitching them to the outside of the tote. I then topstitched around the top of the tote. Once I handstitched the bottom of the lining, it was done!

Now I need to pick out a new bag pattern for February.

That’s probably all I will do in blue for this month. I hope to have some time this next week to work on my Rainbow Stars from the 2015 RSC. I still need to make some smaller stars. Here is my stack of stars…



I’m looking forward to getting this quilt put together.

I will be linking up at So Scrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Head over for some wonderful blue projects!



9 comments:

  1. Great job on the bag! Hopefully you will be able to find the time to continue with your stars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to seeing all those stars come together too. Great looking bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bag looks great! (I've always loved making bags, and you can never have too many!)
    Can't wait to see those stars all assembled - beautiful blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice mods to your January bag and good luck finishing up your Rainbow Stars for the RSC15!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnetic snaps are a great idea, no more gapping open. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on the tote. I like how you made do!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute bag. Looking forward to seeing your stars come together into a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. One tote bag per month -- congrats on the blue one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea to make a tote bag a month! Enjoy this one!
    Love all the stars from last year!

    ReplyDelete