Pages

Saturday, January 9, 2016

Rainbow Scrap Challenge – Blue Tote

One of the things I would like to do for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge this year is to make a tote/purse/bag for each color of the month. I have a lot of patterns for bags, so I could do several each month and never run out. But I plan on just trying to get one done each month. I've not really made them before, so I would like to strengthen my skills in that area. For January, I am using the following blue fabrics with the pattern shown…



This wavy blue fabric is about a yard and a half long and it was on the free table at one of our quilt guild meetings. My price range!

The bag is actually a Trick or Treat bag, and it looks very simple with a pocket on the outside. I have decided to quilt the sides of the bag and the outside of the pocket to give it a little substance. This week I was able to get the outside pocket panel quilted. I used black thread to follow the wavy lines in the fabric…



You can see the quilting lines better from the back…



This has a large rick rack trim on the pocket, so I basted that on the outside (quilted piece) of the pocket before sewing the two pieces together. I have decided to add magnetic snaps to the side pocket and the tote itself. So, I went ahead and got one side of the snap put on the inside (lining) of the pocket, and here are the two pieces of the pocket ready to be put together.



Once I got the pocket pieces together, I realized I didn’t have the rick rack up high enough L .



I really wanted to see more of it peeking out the top of the pocket. But what’s done is done and with such dark fabric I don’t think the black rick rack would show that much anyway. Here is the inside (lining) of the pocket with the snap.



I was able to spend a little more time in the sewing room getting the tote pieces ready for quilting. I have used Misty Fuse to fuse the fabric to the batting before I quilt the lines. I have about one-half of one side of the tote quilted. You can see it best from the back (batting) side.



So that’s where it stands right now. I probably won’t get to it again until Monday or Tuesday, but maybe I can get it completed next week. I will be linking up at So Scrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. Head over for some wonderfully colorful projects!


10 comments:

  1. Sewing bags is a whole other skill set. I'm sure with one each month you will be a pro before the end. Great progress on this one so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your blue fabric. It will make a fun bag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that fabric! The bag is going to be beautiful. What a great idea for RSC!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to make some bags this year. I have a couple of patterns somewhere... your blue bag is pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! You bag project must certainly be a first for the RSC. Good luck meeting your goal of a bag per month! Sounds like a fun way to work through your stash. Pockets are PERFECT for using up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you are going to be a bag-making expert by the end of the year. Cute fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea to start with a simple bag. This is going to be darling when it's finished!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, what a great plan for the year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cool plan for the RSC this year. I look forward to seeing your adventures with bags this year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that blue print! Making a tote in each month's color is a most excellent idea and I look forward to seeing your colorful totes come together each month. I made a lot of totes in December last year for Christmas. I think making one a month would be a less stressful.

    ReplyDelete