Pages

Friday, January 1, 2016

A Lovely Year of Finishes 2015 – The Finale


I have thoroughly enjoyed linking up with A Lovely Year of Finishes for the past couple of years. Shanna and Melissa have done such a wonderful job and I have enjoyed all of the beautiful projects everyone has shared. I’m sorry to see it end, but I completely understand the need for a break from it!

I was able to complete 10 out of my 12 ALYOF goals in 2015. Originally I had planned on just making a block a month for a particular quilt (this one here), but that fell by the wayside in April. There was too much frustration with the instructions and I was NOT having fun putting it together. But, I did get a few of those blocks done…all for nothing.

Let’s look back…

In January I was full of hopes and my goal was to complete the first blocks of that horrible Times and Seasons pattern. The good news is that I got it done!



In February I was still quite enamored with Times and Seasons, and my goal was to make the star blocks in the quilt. This is when things really started to get frustrating for me and I ranted about it in my Finishes post. But, it was another finish.



By March I guess I was still wearing rose colored glasses, because my goal was to complete two more blocks from Times and Seasons. Apparently I didn’t have much to complain about with these blocks because I got my Finish and I didn’t rant!



April was a difficult month. My father died over Easter, and I knew it was coming so I knew I was going to be out of state for a while, plus it’s the month we start camping. So with that traveling to CA early in April and camping later in April, I knew not much would be done in the sewing room. I took a break from Times and Seasons (I don’t know if that was subconsciously or not) and set a very small goal of hand stitching the binding on a charity quilt. And I got it done.



Come May I was ready to sew again. I came home from CA with a load of my dad’s flannel shirts that my sisters suggested I use to make quilts for them J So, I set aside Times and Seasons again and started on the flannel 9-patch quilts. My goal for May was to make 50 blocks. Unfortunately I didn’t meet my goal for May, but I made a good run at it, considering I started out with this...



In June, the Chair of our charity quilts at our quilt guild gave me some 9-Patch blocks and asked me to make a Disappearing 9-Patch top with them. So I set that as my goal (to make sure I got it done in a timely fashion!) After a little bit of fussing with it, I am pleased to say that I made my finish!



I think by July I had completely forgotten about Times and Seasons. No great loss for me. Anyway, I had another easy goal for July…to bind a wall hanging I made. It wasn’t my favorite project I have made, but that’s OK. I got it done and it’s hanging in my sewing room as we speak.



In August I set another goal with the flannel 9-Patch. My goal was to finish the first top. With a little help from my friend I got it finished.





I had a fun goal for September. I wanted to complete a Halloween table runner so it could be on my table by the beginning of October. I got it done, and I think it is my favorite project of the year.



For October I had another Halloween inspired goal. I pieced a new Halloween quilt for our living room and I wanted to get it quilted and bound. Another finish! I was so happy to get this one done in time



In November I went back for a second flannel 9-Patch quilt from my dad’s flannel shirts. I had already finished quilting and binding the first flannel 9-Patch, and my goal for November was to piece the second 9-Patch top. This was another month that I didn’t reach my goal. I was able to make some progress on it though.



Finally, we’re into December. My goal was to finish piecing the flannel 9-Patch top, get it quilted, bound, and shipped off to its final destination. Yay! I got it done. It even reached my sister before Christmas.



So that’s it for ALYOF for 2015. It’s been fun and I have gotten a lot done because of it. Thanks again to Melissa and Shanna for their time and efforts. I will be linking up one more time for the 2015 Finale. Head over for a look back at 2015.



4 comments:

  1. Looks like a great year! I will also miss the linkup and found it very helpful for keeping my butt in gear:)
    I really love your Haunted House runner!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all your finishes. A very successful year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on meeting so many goals!!! Very productive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on all your progress against goals!

    ReplyDelete