This week I finished a couple of small projects. One I’ll share next week – it’s a gift for my hubby’s birthday this weekend – and one I’ll share now.
This is a mini Disappearing 9-Patch. It’s 24 by 36 inches. This came about because my guild will be having a special sewing bee later in August for Ronald McDonald House quilts. The guild RMH Chair thought this would be a fun quilt to do. She won’t be able to make the bee, so I get to be in charge of it (oh no!).
We have kits all cut out for sewing these together. The squares we cut for the kits are 5 inches, so the original 9-Patches (prior to cutting them) will be 14 ½ inches unfinished. I think when they are cut and sewn back together they end up being about 13 or 13 ½ inch finished blocks. We didn’t have a sample quilt to show, so I decided it would be a good idea to put one together. I really didn’t want to make a big full size quilt, and I had a bunch of 2 ½ inch black and white strips, so that’s what I used. I threw in some red for a pop. I think it turned out pretty cute. My daughter even liked it – go figure! I think I will enjoy seeing this up on my wall.
One other special thing I did with this was to try a new binding technique. Someone at our last RMH sew-in described this technique and I thought I would give it a try.
I know there are some You Tube videos on how to do this, but I decided to just wing it. The way I did it is this…I cut the black part of the binding 1 ½ inches wide and the red part of the binding 1 ½ inches wide and stitched them together. You could probably work it out to make the “flange” color 1/16 or 1/8 of an inch wider than the other piece, but I chose not to. Once I sewed them together, I had a 2 ½ inch wide binding strip (which I normally use). When I pressed the binding strip in half, I shifted the red (flange) over just a smidge so it was showing on the black side. This made the raw edges off set, but that’s fine. Then I stitched the binding to the BACK of the quilt, with the red side facing up. Once it’s flipped over to the front the black side is showing with just the smidge of red flange. Then I top stitched with red thread on the red flange…like stitching in the ditch. One note, make sure your bobbin thread matches your quilt backing, because it WILL show.
I think it turned out okay, and it gives it a little bit more pop with the red around the binding. I’m pretty pleased with how it turned out.