Pages

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Slow Stitching…and More of My Favorite Things

I have nothing but slow stitching going on around here these days. I was able to finish up a block for HocusPocusVille…



And I have continued quilting the second flannel 9-Patch quilt, “tying” it with my great-grandmother’s buttons…



I plan on spending lots of time today working on the quilt. But I also hope to do another block for We Wish You a Mini Christmas at Temecula Quilt Co. I have the first twelve printed out, and the first block done…



I have three more blocks cut out and ready to go. I’m hand piecing these to give me something to do in the evenings, but I only worked on one of them so far. These are tiny things…the blocks are 2-3/4 inches square. Originally I had wanted to use the leftover 2-1/2 inch strips from this Halloween table runner…


I thought black would be great with the yellows and oranges, and would make it Halloween-y. Then I saw this dark gray fabric that I’m using and decided to use it and not have it be so seasonal. I really don’t know what I’ll do with this project. I’m not sure exactly how big it will be, though I know it will be small. I may just make it and donate it to our small quilt sale for our guild quilt show next summer. I’ll see how it turns out and if I like it! I’m just not too sure how the colors will work together.

Today I will be linking with Kathy for Slow Sunday Stitching…and working on that quilt!

Last time I showed you some of my favorite things that my grandmother made. Well, I have a few more favorite things from my grandmother to share…these are all Christmas ornaments.

I have quite a few of her old glass Christmas ornaments that I love and they are the first things I like to hang on my tree each year. My most favorite are the glass birds…



I have four of these, and they clip on the branches…though the clips are wearing after so many years.

I also have two glass bells…



These are about 2 inches tall. I just think they are so cute. I also have about 5 or 6 of her glass ball ornaments; they are all different colors and have different designs on them. Here is one with stripes painted on it…



And finally, the ceramic snow lady…



She is about 3 inches tall and my grandmother made her. She is actually a gift tag to me from 1964. I also have a Christmas tree and a bell gift tag she made me in 1965 and 1980. One thing I remember from growing up is having a bunch of these little ceramic tags hanging on our Christmas tree because MiMi made us all tags throughout the years. So we would have several trees and snowmen, and I remember one that was a snowman and lady couple…I believe that was on a gift to my parents.

I have gotten rid of a lot of Christmas ornaments over the years, and it’s nice to have it whittled down to the ones that hold special meaning to me. It makes decorating the tree much more enjoyable!

I hope you all have a wonderful Sunday!



4 comments:

  1. Such wonderful heritage ornaments!
    So fun that you are hand piecing the Temecula blocks!
    ENjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love your hocus locus project! Your decorations are wonderful, with so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you working on all those handwork projects! We purged a bunch of ornaments last year and this year it was much easier to decorate the tree with all the meaningful ones, but it might be a little bare--I might had to make some new ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could use two trees for all the ornaments that I have. They are all special as they represents special gifts, vacations, or events or they were handmade by myself or my children. There are just a few that I would rather not use, but my grown children come home in time to trim the tree and we can't leave them off. I am hoping to give some of them to my kids when they have homes and trees of their own. I love all those special ornaments. Also, the Hocuspocusville block came out great.

    ReplyDelete