Pages

Friday, December 4, 2015

Button, Button, Who’s Got the Button?

I was able to finish up the quilt top for the second flannel 9-Patch quilt. Now it’s time to quilt. But what to do? In case you aren’t aware, the dark flannel patches in the quilt are from my father’s flannel shirts. He passed away in the spring and one of my sisters mentioned what a great quilt the shirts would make. So…as my sisters were going through his closet they piled up some of his shirts for me. There were dozens of shirts in there and I brought home a boat load for these two quilts I’m making for my sisters.

But back to the quilting…and the buttons…

My grandmother went into a nursing home 20+ years ago and my mother cleared out her home and brought me all her sewing gear. Among the items were boxes and tins of buttons from my great grandmother Mamy. Mamy passed away in 1984, and some of the buttons from her collection are pretty old (and unique). In one of my many organizing frenzies, I sorted all of her buttons by color and put them in glass jars and set them on a shelf in my sewing room. They have been nifty decorations, but I want to USE my stuff. So I decided to “tie” the quilt with my great-grandmother’s buttons.  Here is a photo of the different button jars, along with the finished top…



I was initially thinking of using various colors…blue, brown, black, red, cream, white/clear…and putting them in the dark patches. But then I decided that I wanted to be able to “see” my dad’s flannels, so I figured I would put the buttons on the cream colored patches. I really didn’t like the idea of the colored buttons on the cream patches, so my final decision…using the MANY white/cream/clear buttons from my great-grandmother and putting them in the cream colored patches. Here is a photo of the buttons and a few of them already attached and “quilting” the quilt.



So that’s what I’m working on now. I will probably be sewing buttons through the weekend, but I think it will turn out fine and I think my sister will appreciate the addition of our great-grandmother’s buttons.

Hubby is sick with daughter’s cold, but I think I am fighting it off pretty well. At least I don’t feel as bad as he does. Fortunately it doesn’t take a lot of energy to stitch buttons!

I hope you have a great Friday and a wonderful weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment