Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2015

A Finish…and a Few of My Favorite Things

This is what it looked like out my back door this morning when the sun came up…



Dreary, dreary morning. It seemed like a good time to sit down and do some stitching. I only had part of a window to finish on the current HocusPocusVille block, so I spent about 20 minutes and got the block done…



Yay! I think I will put HPV away until after the New Year. I think I have half of the blocks done. Not nearly what I wanted to do, but things happen and other things don’t get done. I enjoy working on the HPV blocks, so this will be on-going. I just need to put things away until after the holidays.

And speaking of holidays, I was able to (finally!) put out some Christmas decorations at my house this week. With the repainting of the dining room and illness that has been in my house since before Thanksgiving, I haven’t really done much decorating. I finally put out the few decorations I have, along with some of my Snow Village collection. Last year I purged my holiday decorations during a stint of organizing, so I am really left with some of my very favorite things. I thought I might share J

Today I will share a few things I have from my paternal grandmother, who died in 1993. Here’s my MiMi…



MiMi was an award winning ceramicist, china painter, and jewelry maker, and an all-around nifty (and artistically talented) lady. I grew up in the same town where she lived, so she was the grandmother I came to know best (my other GM was out of state). I spent many afternoons with her learning ceramics, and I still dabble and try to pull out my kiln on occasion, but will never reach her level of skill and talent. Anyway, I have several items she made that I bring out at Christmas, and those items are some of my very favorite things…(cue Julie Andrews).

So aside from whiskers on kittens…



Here is one of my very favorite things…




A little hard to see because they are in my china cabinet with my Snow Village set up, but MiMi made the Santa, sleigh, Christmas tree in the back corner, and the reindeer. She slip cast the pieces, glazed them and then china painted the details on them. The gold antlers are actually painted with liquid gold. If you notice in the sleigh, there are also ceramic presents and a teddy bear that she made. There are only four reindeer set up (there were originally 8), but over the many years I have had these some of the antlers have broken on 4 of them, so they are still packed in the box. I haven’t had these out for several years, so I thought I would put them out this year (I’m in much more of a Christmas spirit this year than the past several years J).

Funny note, I was at a yard sale MANY years ago and found some slip casting molds for ceramics and bought them. One happened to be the same reindeer, only facing the other direction. I was also able to find the sleigh mold and the Santa mold, so I can make more of these now…whenever I get back to working on ceramics!

And if you noticed the paper standing up behind the reindeer…that’s another of my favorite things. It’s a Twelve Days of Christmas placemat my daughter colored in kindergarten. I think it is the only piece of artwork from her school days that I have kept.

Another favorite thing from MiMi are these little dishes…



These are about 3 by 5 inches and they are also slip cast and glazed, then china painted. The date on one of these is 1964, so they are a bit younger than I am J. They are a little small to actually hold anything (except maybe paper clips on a desk) but I like putting them out on the table at Christmas time.

And finally, my MiMi made these guys for me…



The larger Santa cup is from Christmas of 1964 and the smaller mug is from Christmas of 1965. I think my siblings and cousins all got these as well on those Christmases. They are perfect for candy canes!

That’s about it for this morning. I need to get down to the sewing room and work on quilting the flannel 9-Patch quilt. Hopefully the cat will let me get some work done on it today!


I hope you have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment