Pages

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Working on Rainbows

I’ve spent most of my sewing time the past week or so quilting the new Halloween quilt, and I don’t think I’ve pieced a single seam. It seems like it’s been all quilting all the time in the sewing room for quite a while. I still have 20 of the black and white string blocks to quilt on the Halloween quilt, then I can get the binding on and it will be done. But this morning, I decided to do a little work on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.

I haven’t done anything on the RSC since August, and then I only made the Sawtooth Sampler blocks. I still have my other RSC projects to work on for August and September (and October). I also need to put together the September Sampler blocks…but at least I have the fabric picked out for those now!

This morning I got to work on the first Sawtooth Sampler for October. The color for October is brown, and I had some misgivings about it, but I think my block turned out pretty nice. First though, I ran to Joann’s on Tuesday (with my 50% off coupon in hand!) and picked up the Tri-Recs Rulers to make part of this block…



I don’t usually buy specialty rulers, but I really like my Easy Angle Ruler and the Companion Ruler, and since I’ve made blocks in the past that called for using the Tri Recs Rulers (though I paper pieced them), I decided that I might like to have the Tri Recs as well. And the 50% off didn’t hurt either!

So, I picked out my brown fabrics and got to cutting…



Things were going along great until I had to put the little Tri Recs unit together. Here’s the little bugger all done correctly…



What you don’t see is the picture of it when I first sewed the brown triangle upside down on the white piece (on all 4 units!) Then after taking them apart with the seam ripper, I tried again. And sewed the brown piece across the bottom of the white triangle! At least I only did the one and checked it! So finally, I got my act together and got everything put together properly into one brown and white Sawtooth Sampler block…



It turned out fine considering the trouble I started with!

This afternoon I think I’ll have more time to head downstairs to sew and I’ll probably try to get the Sampler blocks for September cut. The color for September is orange, and there are three Sampler blocks to do. I’ll see what I feel like doing once I get the fabric cut out, but I do think I will go back to the Halloween quilt and attempt to quilt a few more blocks this afternoon.

Turkey Tetrazzini for dinner tonight! The best thing about it is that it’s the second batch from a couple of weeks ago when I made it, and put it in the freezer for a later meal. Tonight’s that later meal! It will be nice to just stick it in a pan to bake and not have to work very hard at a yummy meal!


Have a wonderful Thursday!

No comments:

Post a Comment