Pages

Thursday, September 3, 2015

New This Week

It’s been a busy week this week, getting my daughter moved out into her own apartment, plus guild stuff, plus life stuff. I spent all morning out running errands and getting a haircut, so I think this afternoon and tomorrow will be “home time”.

I was able to do a little bit in the sewing room this week. I got a border put on my Halloween quilt…and it’s purple! Here is the quilt folded in half (I don’t have space to open it all the way up), and you can see the purple border on it. You probably can’t see the pattern, but they are swirling bats.



I also got the binding and backing fabric this week for this quilt. Here is what I will use for binding…



I really like this fabric! And here is what (I hope) it will look like as the binding next to the purple border fabric…



And here is the backing fabric…



It is actually black and quite a bit darker in real life than in the photo. It is flannel and 108 inches wide…so no piecing the back. Yay! Today I picked up some black batting for this quilt, so maybe by the weekend I can get it basted and ready to go. We’ll be off camping next week, so I won’t be able to start quilting on it for probably at least a week.

Tuesday evening at the quilt guild meeting I found this cross stitch pattern on the “free” table…



I have always loved these black cat cross stitch patterns and recently picked up a kit for the Autumn Cats pattern. I found another of these cat patterns on the “free” table of a winter theme with the cats sledding. Aside from learning to sew when I was 4 or 5 by sitting on my mom’s lap at her sewing machine, cross stitch was my first “craft” that I really enjoyed. I have always loved it and my first quilt was cross stitched blocks quilted together. I think since I’ve started really quilting the past 20+ years, cross stitch has taken a back seat, and I really do miss it. I’ve picked up embroidery again in the past year or so, and I think I need to make time for cross stitch too (so much to do!). So, I had everything I needed for this Halloween cat pattern, so I got it all together and worked a little bit on it yesterday. This is as far as I got…



I so enjoyed myself working on it and I think it will go pretty quickly. Though I remember part of my problem with cross stitch…this may sound weird, but I have arthritis in my shoulder and it flares up when I cross stitch (also when I crochet). I don’t understand it and I don’t know what it is about the motion…it’s not like I flail my arm around. But it does bother me when I cross stitch. I was diagnosed with it in my late 20s, and at the time I was BIG into cross stitch, and the doctor couldn’t explain it either. So, I think that’s why cross stitch fell by the wayside. But, I’m going to carve out time in my life again for cross stitch. I do have several cross stitch projects I have found in the closet to work on. I will probably spend some more time on this project this afternoon, and I will probably take it camping with me next week. We’re expecting some rain, so I may be trailer-bound for some of the time we’re gone.

That’s about it from here. I hope you have had a wonderful week so far!


No comments:

Post a Comment