Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

A Lovely Year of Finishes Goal for September

I have a few projects I would like to finish in September, but I guess I need to get the Halloween projects out of the way first! So, my goal for ALYOF for September will be to top stitch, quilt, and bind this Halloween table runner.



This is from the book My Runners Keep Going by Disa Designs. I saw this runner made up in a local quilt shop and thought it was so cute. The pattern calls for black borders on the runner, but I decided to use my cute spider web fabric…



I used a black flange for a “stop border” and I will add another black flange to the binding, since it is a black and white chevron stripe. The runner is a quilt-as-you-go project, so the orange center is already quilted. I just need to stitch around the applique pieces and put spider legs on the black ovals in the center.

I picked up some Nitelite Extraglow from Superior Threads, which is a glow-in-the-dark polyester thread. I plan on using that to quilt spider webs in the border strips. Depending on how that goes, I may use it for additional quilting in the center of the runner or on some of the applique pieces.

Hopefully the completed runner will be on my dining room table by October 1.

I have a couple of additional projects I hope to complete as well in September.

First, I have a new Halloween quilt that I would like to get done. I made some string blocks sometime last year (I think), then last month I cut out alternate blocks from the various Halloween fabrics I have collected over the years. I finally put it all together last week. It has a narrow solid black stop border on it, then I will add a purple swirly bat print border to it. I also have a black print flannel for the backing. I would like it to be really snuggly. So my plan it to get the final border on this, quilt it, bind it, then use it in October! I'll post a photo of it when I get it finished.

Finally, my last high priority item for September is to quilt and bind this flannel 9-Patch…



Completing the top was my goal for August’s ALYOF…and I met my goal! So I would like to get this completely done in September. I have one more of these to finish before Christmas, so the sooner I get it quilted and off my “to-do” list, the better.

I will be linking up with the goal setting party for September’s ALYOF at Sew BitterSweet Designs and Fiber of All Sorts. Head over to see what everyone is up to.


6 comments:

  1. You'll be very festive with your table runner done by October :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spooky runner! And glow in the dark thread, awesomeness with the spider boarder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cute! I am really curious about the glow in the dark thread; I hope that turns out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it!! And going with the season will inspire you to keep at it!! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the applique so far. I've seen that thread and wondered how it would show, I hope you have lots of success finishing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your table runner. The flange definitely makes your eye stop before the border - it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete