Pages

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Time to Ge Back to It

It is time for me to get back to sewing! I spent a couple of weeks clearing out and cleaning up the sewing room. I finished up last Wednesday, then on Thursday morning the hubby and I both woke up with horrible head colds (courtesy of our daughter who came home from vacation with it!) Anyway, I actually spent most of Thursday through Saturday in bed…yes, it was that bad! Ugh! I started feeling a bit more like myself yesterday, so I was able to get into the sewing room to do some work. More on that later…

For now, I need to show off what I accomplished in my cleaning spree. I don’t have “before” photos because it really was just TOO embarrassing to show what it looked like. Suffice it to say it was a disaster and I could not get anything done. I did clear out about 15 plastic grocery bags of fabric (!!!!) and a few more bags of scraps and orphan blocks. And…I even threw some stuff away that was just too awful to give away. So now, my fabric shelves look like this…



I have fabric on 2 or 3 fewer shelves now, and they are now neatly stacked and in some semblance of order…and nothing is overflowing and hanging out. Imagine that with 15 more bags of fabric! It was a sight. I also have my wool and embroidery items stacked neatly on these shelves, along with my other crafting supplies. I cleared out several shelves full of magazines also. I really will never make all those patterns! I really am pleased with how it looks now. I also have project boxes and thread boxes up on the top of these shelves. You can see that I have way too many UFOs happening!

I also cleared out the shelving unit under the window to the right of my sewing machine…



This is so neat and orderly now. This is where I have my sewing tools…scissors, seam rippers, etc. It now also houses my serger and more project boxes (again, way too many UFOs!)

And look at this!



I can close the closet doors! I haven’t done that in forever! Here is what it looks like inside…



The top shelf and the shelves on the sides have stored family items, but the floor space is pretty much mine. The closet used to be open with stuff sticking way out into my sewing room…but not anymore! I still have a couple more UFOs in there (big surprise), plus I have my AccuQuilt Go Cutter, a quilting frame, wrapping paper, and rolled up patterns and pattern paper in old 6 gallon buckets. That blue thing in the front is my new travel bag for my sewing machine. And it all fits!

But, it’s not all fun and games. There is still a bit of work to do. I have the counter top that needs to still be cleared off and sorted…



And I have a lot more scraps in bags on the floor to cut into 1 ½ and 2 ½ inch strips and squares (but at least my bookshelf is neat and tidy!)…



I also have some bins and bags with my bed quilt I started a few years ago, along with a bin of batting…



That bed quilt is a top priority item for me to complete in 2016, so I think I will leave all that stuff there so I can work on it. I also need to find a home for the two ceramic pumpkins I picked up for Halloween J

Finally, I need to straighten out my painting area…



This shelf has paints and supplies, painting magazines, and my Snow Village Quilt & Pie Shop (those are cat toys on the floor in front). I need to clear out the shelves and make it neater. That should be a quick job I can get to any time.

So here is my (mostly) cleaned up sewing room (the quilt on the table is where the cat hangs out with me)…



As I said earlier, I was able to spend some time there yesterday and it was so pleasant to not have stuff all over my sewing tables and the floor. It is such a distraction! The items you see on my table are actually what I was working on at the time...and the sewing machine cover gets put away when I work. 

I was able to get 10 more blocks made for my ALYOF goal for August, and I was able to work on my current HocusPocusVille block. My goal for this week is to finish the HPV block and get the remaining nine 9-Patch blocks done and at least start putting the 9-Patch quilt top together. I also need to work on the quilt guild newsletter to get it out by the end of the week. Not too much to do, but plenty with the way I’m still feeling.

Looking forward to a productive (and healthier!) week!


No comments:

Post a Comment