Pages

Monday, August 10, 2015

Busy Monday and Stitchery Link Up

Today has already been a busy day for me. I’m hoping to slow down a bit to get some stitching done sometime today.



I already made some chocolate espresso whole grain muffins. Yum! One of my favorite things. I also have some homemade English muffins sitting in the kitchen rising. I’ll get to put them in the oven to bake in about 20 minutes.

I’ve also been able to clean up the kitchen for the day and I’ve put in my time on the exercise bike. Yay me! I still need to grab a shower, do laundry, and maybe head over to the store for a quick errand…but that can actually wait until tomorrow if necessary.

I just wanted to share that I have been doing some stitching around here…



I made a little progress over the past couple of weeks on HocusPocusVille…though not as much as I hoped. I have done a little bit more than when this photo was taken on Friday. Maybe I’ll take the time this week to finish this block up.



I also put the antennae on a few butterflies and added a little embroidery to them. Not much progress here, but I haven’t been focusing on it much in the past week.

What I have been doing is cleaning up the sewing room. It had been a disaster. I have now cleared out about 15 plastic grocery bags full of fabric from my shelves…everything from wool to knits to cotton, and even some mystery materials which are probably Polyester. I had fabrics on my shelves from the 80s and early 90s that I knew I would never use, so they are (mostly) gone. I saved a few pieces that I know I will use for bindings or other projects in progress. It is starting to look a bit better in there now. At least the fabric on the shelves isn’t falling out and I can actually see what I have.

I’m also clearing out my scraps (again!). I have come to the realization that I am not at heart a “scrappy” quilter where I can take every little piece that I save and turn it into something wonderful. Now, I could, but that’s just not where my heart is. So, I have been going through my little scraps and cutting them into 1 ½ inch strips and 2 ½ inch strips. I’m also cutting some pieces into 1 ½ or 2 ½ inch squares, depending on how big the scrap is. These are the sizes I use most, so that’s all I’m going to start keeping. And (gasp!) I’ve even bagged up some units for quilt blocks for a couple of projects that I know I will never complete (I really lost interest in them), so they are going as well. I know I will be much more content once these have been wrangled and managed.

I need to get off the computer now…I have to get muffins in the oven, then I will be working on a bit of genealogy and “office-y” stuff this morning. This afternoon I will head back down to the sewing room to do more cleaning up (and out). I hope to get back upstairs by late afternoon to do some hand stitching. It’s an easy dinner night here, so I should be able to carve out about an hour to stitch before making dinner. In the meantime, head over to Super Mom – No Cape for the Monday Stitching Party and check out the lovely projects everyone is working on. See ya soon!


2 comments:

  1. I have so much trouble letting go of fabrics that I most likely will never use. Sigh. You have been very ambitious this morning. Other than get in my morning walk, I must shower and get myself ready before I can cook or do anything else. I have been that way since I was little. I am always amazed when others get early morning baking done. Those muffins look yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your muffins sound & look amazing! I love seeing progress on HocusPocusVille. And the butterflies are adorable. Your post reminds me that I need to sort through my stash and donate what I know I will not use to my mother-in-law for her church quilt group to use. :)

    ReplyDelete