Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

A Lovely Year of Finishes: May Goal

My goal for ALYOF for May is to piece 50 9-patch blocks. I think I can do it.

I have this stack of flannel from cutting apart my dad’s shirts (there are 2 or 3 that are plain cotton shirts, but I’ll go ahead and use those too)



When my two sisters and I were going through some things in my dad’s closet, they pulled out about a bazillion flannel shirts (OK, maybe many dozens!). One of my sisters mentioned it would be great if I made a quilt from his shirts, so I pulled out the ones my brother-in-law didn’t want to keep (he only wanted a few) and brought them home. With the exception of one or two, they all read dark. But I really wanted to make a 9-patch quilt from them, so I ordered some light colored flannels (I couldn’t find many flannels around here at this time of year). Those flannels have arrived and I can get started on cutting a whole bunch of 3 inch squares. I plan on the blocks being 7-1/2 inches (unfinished) and laying them out 9 blocks by 11 blocks, for a total of 99 blocks. I’ll make two quilts - one for each sister – so I’ll need to make 198 blocks. I think if I work in 50 block increments it will be better for my sanity. So, that’s the plan. I have a long-ago-started quilt I’m making for my bedroom that has plaids/homespuns/flannels in it, so any extra fabric from my dad’s shirts will go into that so I’ll have some of his shirts for myself.

Aside from that, May will be pretty busy with camping twice, vet appointments, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, guild meeting and Board meeting, capped off with our Guild Quilt Show over Memorial Day Weekend, but I hope to complete a few other things in the sewing room.

Participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge – The color for the month of May is green. I have plenty of green around the sewing room, so I’m looking forward to using it up. I’ll be working on the same projects I’ve been doing since January. I may double up on some of them, making a set of light green and a set of dark green.

Vintage Kitchen BOM from Jenny of Elefantz – this is a quick little redwork embroidery project that won’t take too much of my time. I love how they’re turning out and look forward to putting them together later this year.

HocusPocusVille – I want to finish up the fourth block of HocusPocusVille and complete a fifth block. April was a bit messed up for my so I’m a little behind (my) schedule for this project. I’d like to finish one block per month.

And I think that’s it. I have lots of other projects I can pick up if I need something different, plus I have several Ronald McDonald House quilts here that need to be quilted. I finally have the large quilt frame up for my long arm, so I will probably load one of my larger quilts and have that available to work on this month as well.


I hope you all have a wonderful May! I’ll be linking up with the May Goal Setting Party for A Lovely Year of Finishes at Sew BitterSweet Designs and Fiber of All Sorts.

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a good goal; using recycled fabric for quilts is very satisfying!

    ReplyDelete