Pages

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Home Again

Well, I’m back home. We left April 11 and just got back Monday, April 20. I was out in California for my dad’s memorial service. He passed away over Easter weekend. It wasn’t unexpected, but it was sooner than expected. He went home on Friday at noon under hospice care, and died Saturday morning. He wanted to be home. I think once he realized he was back home, he was ready, even if we thought he had more time.

We had planned a trip for this spring to visit him, so this trip was sort of planned in advance. We just didn’t know we were going for a funeral instead of a visit. But, my dad had a really rough year health-wise, so now that’s over for him. I am glad the end was quick, rather than lingering. I am glad I’ve taken the time over the past 5+ years since my mom passed to call him every 2-3 days to chat. Sometimes the chat lasted 2 minutes; other times 20 minutes. I’m also very thankful I was able to speak to him on one of his last lucid days a couple of weeks before he passed away.

It will be hard to not pick up the phone to call him, forgetting that he's gone…the same as when my mom died. But I know that will pass. I will certainly miss him.



No comments:

Post a Comment