Pages

Friday, March 20, 2015

Happy Spring!

Spring arrives here on Friday evening. I’m ready for it. For now I’ll forget about my allergies going wild in the spring, the yellow pollen covering everything outside (and inside) later in April, and the impending heat and humidity of the summer. Right now I’m looking forward to highs in the 60s and some sunshine.

I have been working away on my stitching this week…and not much else. I was able to get my Redwork block done.



This is for a guild swap later in the year. I really like it and think some of the elements…the reindeer and the words…would make some cute ornaments for gifts this year. I think I may make another one and double the fabric for the actual swap block…you can almost see the red floss through one layer…and then use this one to make a pillow or a mini quilt for my table top quilt stand.

I also traced and stitched the third block in the Vintage Kitchen BOM from Jenny of Elefantz.



Now that I see a photo of it, I notice that I left out a couple of markings on the scale. It’s not really a big deal, but if it starts to bother me I’ll add the markings later. The next block will be available after the first of April.

Finally, when we got back from the quilt show on Thursday, I finished tracing the third block for HocusPocusVille.



I even spent a few minutes starting to stitch it on Thursday evening. I have been hoping to be able to get one block done each month, and this is the third block. So I have 11 more days to get it done. I think I can do it. I will be able to spend some time today working on it, and I’m sure to find time in the evening to work on it over the weekend. We have to do some yard work and finish taxes this weekend, so this will be a nice reward J

I’m also hoping to get the bindings machine stitched on two charity quilts today, so I can work on hand stitching the bindings down over the weekend. They’re small, so I’m hoping I can get the binding done on at least one this weekend and start on the other one. I’d like to have them done for the 29th when we get together for our Ronald McDonald House quilt sew-in.

As I mentioned, my hubby and I ran up to the Mountain Quilt Fest show on Thursday. I was looking for a Christmas/winter embroidered quilt pattern to start on (I know, like I need another project!). But I’m really enjoying the HocusPocusVille and I would like to make something similar for the holidays. I was looking at several patterns from Crabapple Hill Studio, and have seen several of these quilts made up at shows, such as “Winter Wonderland” and “Over the River and Through the Woods.” I was looking at getting the “Snow Days” pattern, or “Twas the Night Before Christmas.” I also like “Snowmen A to Zzzz”, and I saw it made into a quilt at the Quilt Fest this week. Bird Brain Designs has a few patterns I like too. If anyone has any suggestions about these (or other) patterns, I’d love to hear from you. I think I will probably aim to start it this summer…though I know it won’t be done for Christmas 2015!


I will link up with Kathy’s Quilts for Slow Stitching Sunday.

5 comments:

  1. You already listed the ones I would have suggested :)
    So many great project, so little time!
    I love your redwork block!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do beautiful hand embroidery pieces! I am looking forward to doing some stitching while sitting in my gazebo when the warmer weather arrives. Right now, it is just nice to watch the snow melt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had won a book on redwork with patterns years ago. Your's are making me want to give them a try. Maybe that will be my 'learn something new' for 2016! Good luck with picking a seasonal pattern. How about a one a month pattern- one for each month's season or holiday? Just throwing it out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am working on Winter Wonderland right now in blue. Thought I might get it done for Christmas but it may be Christmas next year!! Although the machine is quicker...I do love working with needle and thread whether embroidery or quilting!

    ReplyDelete