Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

January Blues

It has been a bit gloomy here over the past couple of days (and not because Auburn lost the Outback Bowl), with lots of rain today. But, such pretty blues I got to play with thanks to the Rainbow Scrap Challenge!

I was able to find a bit of time on Thursday and Friday to work on my RSC projects for January. Here is what I accomplished…



This is the first of what I hope will be at least several blue tree blocks. I’m using Kona Snow for the background, and I’ll probably just go ahead and use my batik scraps for all of the trees in this project. These finish at about 5x6 inches, so they are pretty small. I’ll have to see if I have enough done by November to make a quilt. Otherwise I think it might make a pretty holiday wall hanging. I hope to get at least 2 or 3 more done in blue this month.



I also made one 5x5 postage stamp block. I have lots of 1-1/2 inch squares, so I’ll just put as many of these blocks together as I can and come up with something by the end of the year. J I will probably try to get three more of these done this month, then see if I want to put them all together into a 10x10 block. If so, then I’ll work on that the rest of the year as well and I’ll have large enough blocks to make a quilt. I certainly have plenty of scraps to do it!

And finally, I made the first sampler block that Angela posted…



Again, I used Kona Snow and some blue scraps. This was pretty fun to do and it didn’t take very long. I also really like using the Easy Angle Ruler and the Companion Angle Ruler, so this went pretty quickly. I tend to shy away from making star blocks (though I think they are pretty)…there are just SOOOOO many points to match! These sampler blocks will push me just enough this year, so maybe I won’t be so intimidated by stars anymore!

I do have some blue fabric ready to cut out for more hexie flowers, and I haven’t touched my blue house blocks from RSC 2014 yet. But the month is young! Next week I will try to spend some time on those two items, plus I hope to work on more postage stamps and trees.


I will be linking up with Angela at SoScrappy for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge for January 2015. Head over to check out the lovely blue projects.

18 comments:

  1. Love your star block! I can't wait to see what happens to your little postage stamp blocks. Fun, fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love all your blocks--nice selection of blues there. That tree is a Blue Spruce, right ?LOL Hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Tree project is going to be fun, I love that blue one. You have lots of fun projects picked out for 2015. Looking forward to seeing them all come together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it fun starting a new year with some great new projects? A rainbow forest of trees sounds intriguing. Good job on finishing the RSC sampler block.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the little trees. I too have lots of 1.5" squares. I plan to make some postage stamp blocks. You have been busy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh how cute! I love your tree!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your tree really catches my eye -- looking forward to the whole forest :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're off to a fabulous start. I really like the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great selection of blocks. I love the color of your tree and look forward to seeing the final quilt--a year goes by so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, those trees will be so cute. Those little postage stamps will add up to something big before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute trees! Sounds like you have a great plan for the month and year already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I love your tree block! That will make an awesome rainbow forest by the end of the year. I also love your postage stamp block. That is a good idea. I am working on house blocks for my RSC. I might have to make some trees to add to my neighborhood :) You have a great start to 2015!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute tree! The center of your star block does have such wonderful motion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a sweet little tree block. The postage stamp blocks are such a great way to use up all the little bits. LOVE your sawtooth star block! Fabulous start.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute trees....you have already been busy with the blues!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome start to the new RSC year. All good ideas : )

    ReplyDelete