Pages

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

ALYOF January Finish

My goal for January for the 2015 A Lovely Year of Finishes (I was #5 at the goal setting party) was to make the corner pinecone blocks on this quilt…



This is a Piecemakers Calendar quilt from 1998 and I have wanted to make it since I bought it. I decided making the blocks each month as my ALYOF goals in 2015 would force me into it. J

I decided to fuse the applique on the pinecones, so I got all my fabrics together and ironed on the fusible.



Then I fused them all onto the background triangles. Initially, I was going to use bias strips for the stems, but then just decided to fuse them as well. When I first starting fusing the pinecones, they looked like a bunch of mustaches on the design wall…



But once I added the stems and pine needles/leaves, it started to look more like pinecones…



Then I got everything stitched down. I used a blanket stitch on the stems and a zig zag stitch on the needles and pinecones.



Yay! I met my first goal. Admittedly, it wasn’t a huge project, but like I said, I think this way will force me to make this quilt…finally!


I will be linking up at Fiber of All Sorts and Sew BitterSweet Designs for the January Finishes Link-Up for ALYOF. Head over to see all the wonderful projects everyone has completed this month.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing transformation from mustaches to pinecones! The quilt will be gorgeous in the end, take one step at a time, then the task is not that overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, seeing all those traced pine needles traced on the fusible gives me a shiver....reminds me of my Fleurs quilt I did last year with a ton of appliqué...it LOOKS like it's not a huge project, but you and I know differently! Very time-consuming, all the steps are, to get a finished block. I've always liked Piecemakers, very intricate quilts.

    ReplyDelete