Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

December Finishes

I completed my goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes for December. Yay! (I was #2 at the Goal Setting Party.) I only had to trim and bind my snowmen wall hanging, but it’s been sitting around for quite a while and I knew I needed to get it done. So, I spent the first couple of days this month working on it, and I got it done early!



I’m pretty pleased with it. You can read more about the process in this post that I wrote early in December. I’m glad it’s done and it’s now hanging up the living room. My hubby even likes it…that’s a big bonus!

In keeping with the Christmas spirit, I also worked on a Sampling of Santas…



This was my NewFO for November at Cat Patches, and I was able to get the fusible applique onto the center block.

And I made this little Christmas gift bag…



For the last NewFO Challenge for December, I started working on a flannel quilt. I wrote a little bit about it in this post, but I started with this stack of flannels…



I cut the flannels into 6-1/2 inch squares and 2-1/2 inch strips, then sewed them into the following blocks…



I hope to get more blocks done and get this quilt put together and quilted before the spring so it can go in the trailer when we go camping.

I also worked on some hexie flowers for the 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge. I just had a few more blue flowers cut out, so I stitched them together and now I have ten light blue flowers…



I will continue to work on the hexies in 2015.

Also, I’ve been participating in Bonnie Hunter’s 2014 mystery quilt, Grand Illusion. I’m just cutting and sewing as much as my time allows and I’ve been able to do a little bit of each step. I have to admit that I wasn’t thrilled with the color choices, but they are working out great. I felt that way about the Easy Street mystery too, but it is actually one of my favorite projects I’ve worked on. I’m looking forward to starting to put the blocks together.

I was also able to finish a baby quilt, as in completely quilted and bound…



I really like the green in this quilt. I had no reason other than wanting to practice quilting when I put this quilt together, but it just so happens that we know someone who is having a baby next month, so this may very well go to good use. This is the first quilt I quilted on my new long arm. I’m not very good at quilting circles/pebbles, but I gave it a good try. At least the thread matches the fabric so you only see the texture…the mistakes are less noticeable! Just don’t look on the back! Here is some of the quilting…



I was also able to get some organizing done in the sewing room and make a dent in my backing and scrapping pile, aka Mt. Scrappy. Here is the before photo…



And here is the “now” photo…



It doesn’t look a lot different, but believe me, it’s gone down in size – and it’s neater! I have been cutting the pieces into 2-1/2 inch strips, 2-1/2 inch squares, 2-1/2 inch HSTs, 1-1/2 inch squares, 3-1/2 inch hexagons, and pieces for my ¾ inch hexagons for flowers. Whatever is left over is going in a tote for a while, so hopefully I can have an empty counter top soon.

And the last thing I made this month is this pillow case



I made this the weekend before Christmas when I realized I hadn’t made ANYTHING for my husband or daughter for Christmas this year. I saw the tutorial and then looked at the ice skate flannel sitting on my shelf and knew I had to make it for my daughter. It took about 20 minutes of total working time. Easy peasy, and she really likes it! Bonus!

That’s about it for 2014. I have been making plans for 2015, so I’ll get them posted in the next couple of days. I’m looking forward to all sorts of fun next year.

I will be linking up with the December ALYOF at Fiber of All Sorts and Sew BitterSweet Designs; and the December NewFO at Cat Patches. I will also be linking up with the Small Blog Meet at Lily's Quilts. Check out all the wonderful projects from December.

Have a safe and happy New Year!

5 comments:

  1. How nice of you to make a pillowcase for your kitty! You're going to love that flannel quilt. That's a nice design. I have a box of flannel scraps I want to use to make another quilt. Maybe I'll do something similar. Your Santas and your Snowmen are adorable. Thanks for participating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've been pretty busy, especially for December. I like the baby quilt, it is all about the texture to me and only you know about any mistakes, it's really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL at Barbara's comment about the pillow case for your kitty! Mine is on my ironing board at this very moment. ;) Love your finishes and especially the flannel quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice Idea for flannel scraps. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I sit here wrapped in fleece & minky, your flannel quilt looks quite lovely! Nice job on your daughter's pillowcase too - obviously it passed the cat scan...

    ReplyDelete