Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

My November NewFO and Other Finishes

For my NewFO for November, I started on this Sampling of Santas wall hanging…



I’ve only gotten the backgrounds of the blocks cut out and the applique shapes for four of the blocks traced onto fusible web. I hope to work on this throughout December…maybe it will keep me in the Christmas spirit. I don’t think it will be hanging up until next Christmas, though. I will be linking up over at Cat Patches for the November NewFO linky party.

There have been a few other things going on this month as well. I finally got a longarm quilting machine earlier this month…



It’s a Juki 2200 QVP. I’m learning to love it ;). It’s a completely different method of quilting from FMQ on my domestic machine, but I’m adjusting to it and liking it. I can wind a bobbin on it (yay!) and I am trying really hard to get used to the stitch regulator. I really want to get used to the stitch regulator, but it’s a bit jerky. As long as I move the machine slowly, it’s not bad at all, but as I speed up it gets a little rougher. I have switched over to manual mode (rather than stitch regulated) and it is smooth as can be…and I’ve been doing OK with it there as well. I found that I have to turn the speed down a bit from the default, but it’s working out nicely. At the moment we have it on the 5 foot frame (which is how it was set up in the store…we bought the floor model from our LQS which is moving and they didn’t want to move it), but I’m hoping that while my hubby is on vacation over Christmas we can set it up on the 10 foot frame. I have several large quilts that need to be quilted, so I’d like to get them done.

I also completed my A Lovely Year of Finishes goal for November. I finished my Log Cabin Leaves top. You can read about that here.

I went through my light blue scraps this month for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy, and was able to finish squares for my house blocks and some hexie flowers. I have three more hexie flowers cut out and ready to stitch. I hope to get to them in December.




I also started Bonnie Hunter’s new mystery quilt, Grand Illusion. I have some of Part 1 completed, and I’ll talk more about that tomorrow.

That’s about all that was completed as far as sewing goes. I worked this month on some knitting, cross stitch, and embroidery projects. I have also been scrapping up my backing and scrapping pile of fabrics, cutting them into hexies, 2-1/2 inch strips, 1-1/2 inch squares, and 2-1/2 inch squares and HSTs. I’m hoping to work on some projects in 2015 using those scraps.

Now that Thanksgiving is over, the house is looking a lot like Christmas. I was able to mail off all the Christmas gifts going out of state while I was out last week, plus I picked up the wreaths for the front of the house last week. So I don’t have anywhere I have to go this weekend…though we did end up at WalMart Saturday morning to scope out gifts for my mother-in-law to buy, and pick up a few groceries (and it wasn’t even busy!). I think I even have most of my gift shopping done for the family. Now I can sit back and enjoy the holiday season J

I will also be linking this post back to Lily's Quilts for my first Small Blog Meet. Head over to see what everyone is up to.


I hope you have a wonderful week!

6 comments:

  1. You've been busy. That Santa Claus project looks like it will keep you busy. Your light blue blocks and hexies turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that background fabric you've picked for your Santas! Sparkle gets me every time. Looks like you've been busy - congrats on having most of your shopping done already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're going to love your machine. Lots of cute stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, have fun with your machine! The hexie flowers are really cute and it looks like you'll be very busy this month. Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've been working on quite a few projects in November! Have fun with your new long arm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wonderful makes! Just a hint, though. If you link this page to Lily's Quilts page, more people are likely to actually click through and see your lovely work :))

    ReplyDelete