Pages

Friday, October 31, 2014

October NewFO and Finishes


Happy Halloween! I can’t believe it’s the end of October already. But, time does march on, so here we go with my NewFO and finishes for October!

For my NewFO, I started this mini turkey quilt…



When he’s done (hopefully by this weekend) he will hang out for a while in my table top quilt stand in my living room. The scary black cat at the top of this post is there right now in honor of Halloween.  This turkey is just a made up paper pieced pattern from something I saw online. I couldn’t find a turkey pattern I really liked, so I just kind of made it up. I think he turned out just fine. I’ll get him quilted, then he’ll be able to watch our Thanksgiving fun! I will be linking up at Cat Patches for the October NewFO link up party.

I set several goals for October, and some I met, and others…not so much.

For A Lovely Year of Finishes for October I had wanted to complete my Log Cabin Leaves quilt top. Well, I didn’t quite make it. I did finish all the blocks and I have the two top rows sewn together. I just have three more rows to sew together and a narrow border to add until I set it aside for a bit. I will add another border, but I’m not exactly sure what…though I know I want a pieced border so that will take a bit of time to make. I really like how these blocks turned out and I know I’ll be pleased with it when it’s done. Hopefully I’ll get it put together and the first border added in the next week or so. Here’s a photo of all the blocks (before sewing the two top rows together)…



I also participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at SoScrappy. The colors for October were the dark colors including black, brown and dark gray. I used up a lot of dark and brown batik scraps in the Log Cabin Leaves, so that cleared out some space on my shelves. I also got squares done for my house blocks I’m building with the RSC colors. Here are the October squares…



I also took all my dark/black/brown half square triangles that I scrapped up over the summer, and sewed them to light triangles to make 92 more HST squares for my Split 9-Patch that I’ve been working on a while.  It’s nice when the scraps get used up!

I also spent some time practicing my Free Motion Quilting…I quilted some snowflakes on my snowman wall hanging and on a couple of snowman potholders. Here is the quilting…




They’re turning out pretty cute. I need to get some binding on these guys and call them done!

Miscellaneous stuff I did in the sewing room included piecing a border for my Easy Street top. Easy Street was the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt for 2012, and I finished piecing the top earlier this year, then set it aside. I scavenged through my scraps from that quilt and put together a piano key border, so I need to add a narrow border, then the pieced border, then call it good! I picked up some batting this week for the quilt and some backing fabric earlier this month. So I have no excuse to not get it done before I start the new mystery which begins later in November. I’m hoping to get Easy Street completely done and binding put on by the end of the year. By the way, I STILL haven’t finished piecing Celtic Solstice…grrrrr! I need to work on that too!

I have also used up some scraps and old fabric for some utilitarian jobs around the house. I made up some draft dodgers for the exterior doors, and I’ve quilted up some curtains to put in the windows at the sides of the front door to help keep the cold from coming in there. It’s amazing how chilly it gets by the front door when those windows aren’t covered. Other than that, I’ve just been working on sewing and embroidery projects for Christmas. The good news is that those are almost done. Hopefully within the next week I can get those things marked off my list.

Now it’s time to start getting ready for November. Today I need to clear out the garden. Freezing temperatures are here already and tonight there is actually snow/wintry mix forecasted for the area. Tomorrow will only be in the low to mid 40s for a high, so I think today (in the 50s/60s) needs to be the day to finish up the garden for the year. It has done really well this year and we’re already planning for next year’s garden. Getting excited already!

Next week I’ll work on figuring out what I need to do for November in the sewing room. I don’t know how much is going to get accomplished because my hubby will be off two days, it’s our wedding anniversary, we need to vote on Tuesday, I have a quilt guild meeting, and I have a doctor’s appointment. Along with deep cleaning the house for the holidays and getting the trailer put away for the winter, I may be a bit too busy to sew.

I hope you had a fabulous October and are ready for November!



5 comments:

  1. Looking at your past posts you have some lovely projects on the go! I really like the idea of a seasonal free standing quilt display. Not sure where I would get one of those in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your turkey min! That's going to be fun to display during the holidays. Your leaf quilt is looking great, hope you can find some time to finish it.

    Fabrics are picked out for Bonnie's new mystery, but I doubt Celtic Solstice gets finished before that mystery starts. So you won't be alone if yours doesn't get finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turkey is adorable! Your leaf quilt is so pretty. I like that block.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Turkey is off to a great start! Love the black cat banner. The Log Cabin Leaves are beautiful - are those all batiks? I was able to complete my Celtic Solstice by February but I wasn't working full time last year. This year keeping up with Grand Illusion will be a challenge for me! Can't wait to see your Easy Street done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow - so many great projects! I', a fan of your turkey! My CS needs a final border before quilting. I only started Bonnie's MQs last year so haven't done ES - but its so beautiful I may have to fit it in next year. I am so looking forward to Grand Illusion!!!!

    ReplyDelete