Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

ALYOF & October Goals

My goal for October for A Lovely Year of Finishes is to finish the quilt top for Log Cabin Leaves. I have a few blocks made so far. I’m not totally certain how many blocks I’m going to need, but I’ll keep working on them until it’s the right size J. I would like to make this for a bedspread for our trailer, so it will need to be a tad bigger than what the pattern calls for. I think the pattern calls for 20 blocks. I’m making my blocks a little bit bigger than the pattern, but I know I’ll need more than 20. We’ll see how it goes. Here is where it stands now…



I will be linking up with the October Goal Setting Party at Fiber of All Sorts and Sew BitterSweet Designs.

I also plan on participating in the 2014 Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy and the 2014 NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches. The color for October for the RSC is the darker colors in our scrap bins, so I’ll be putting together some brown, black, or gray squares so I can build house blocks with them. We’ll see what other RSC projects I can work on in October. I’m still undecided on a project for the NewFO Challenge. We’ll see what the month brings.

I also want to start Free Motion Friday on Fridays in October. I really would like to work on improving my machine quilting skills. The three most dreaded words for me are “quilt as desired”. I just kind of freeze and then the quilt top sits on a shelf and doesn’t get done; and when I do get around to quilting something, I spend so much time practicing and fretting over it before I actually work on the quilt that I’m over it by then. So, I am going to start working on quilting at least once a week…on Free Motion Friday. I will devote part of the day to practicing on my machine, learning more about techniques and patterns from books and videos (Craftsy is my favorite for video – and I have tons of quilting pattern books), maybe take a class, and actually getting some projects completed. I really hope by making my quilting practice more regular, that I can feel more comfortable quilting my projects (and getting them done!)

Other than that, I need to work on completing some Christmas gifts; I have a snowman wall hanging that needs quilting; I have snowman blocks to make into mini quilts or potholders; and I have some project ideas for a bunch of flannel fabric I bought a few months ago at our quilt guild garage sale. Oh, and I also have a Halloween quilt that I would like to work on…though it won’t be ready until NEXT Halloween.

I think that all means a busy month ahead! I’ll also be cleaning up the garden, and getting the yard ready for the fall and winter (leaf raking, mulching, all that fun stuff). We also have to finish staining the deck, and maybe go camping once the trailer is repaired…so much to do!


So, I am looking forward to what October brings…I hope you are too!

1 comment:

  1. I'll bet the Log Cabin Leaves will be gorgeous -- love the blocks you have so far.

    ReplyDelete