Pages

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September NewFO & Other Goodies

My September NewFO is the Log Cabin Leaves quilt. I wrote a post about it here and here earlier this month. This is how far I’ve gotten on the blocks…



For a while now I have wanted to make a “leaf” block quilt, since we live in East Tennessee with lovely fall colors.

I have really enjoyed working with the batiks. I have a bunch of batik scraps from a project I did a few years ago, and this is a nice way to use them up. I’m not really following the directions for the strips along the outside of the leaves…I’m actually varying the widths of the strips and I’m making the overall block a bit larger than what is in the quilt pattern. I will probably end up making this big enough to be a bedspread on our bed in our trailer.

I will be linking up at the 2014 NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches. You can head over there and see all the new projects for September.

In other news…

We spent the first couple of weeks of September in our household with a respiratory virus, but I was able to complete a few other projects in the sewing room during September…



This is Teddy Bear Parade. I finally completed the quilting and got the binding on this one this month (after three years!). You can read more about this quilt right here.

I also participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at So Scrappy. The color for September is orange and I got some orange squares done to build some house blocks and I stitched a couple of hexie flowers with orange petals...



I also completed some coasters. Some of them are for gifts, but these pumpkin coasters are hanging out at my house…



I guess the only other exciting things that happened this month is my trip to AQS in Chattanooga (you can read about it here), and the continuing output of the garden. I think the garden is now starting to sputter (however, I don’t think the jalapenos will EVER go away), so I’m sure October will be a month to start clearing the garden out a bit. Our first frost is usually during the first week of November (we actually have snow quite often that first week), so I don’t think the tomatoes and peppers will be around long; but I’ve got plenty stored for the winter!

I’ve done my errands for the day, and this afternoon I will probably be spending much of my time baking bread and dealing with peppers from the garden. I hope to get in a little embroidery, but I don’t think I’ll get down to the sewing room today.

I hope you have all had a great September…and now, on to October!


3 comments:

  1. What a nice piece for fall! Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute little coasters - I don't blame you for keeping them at your house :) And I love your fall leaves blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice projects. I am just starting to play with Hexies.

    ReplyDelete