Pages

Monday, September 15, 2014

Our Garden 2014

Our garden has done very well this year, and we’ve had a lot of fun out there working (and eating!). It’s starting to fade, but I pulled up the remaining green onions this week. They didn’t do very well this year, but we had enough to make a batch of salsa last night and there are still enough left to enjoy eating as is this week. Look at the pretty green…



I also dehydrated another batch of cayenne peppers yesterday. We’ve done about 10 batches in the dehydrator this summer and there are still more to go. I think I have about a pint worth of ground cayenne, plus enough dehydrated in the freezer to make another pint. I also cut up 50 jalapenos yesterday to put in the freezer. I already have a few more dozen cut up in the freezer, and we use several each week, so we have gotten a nice harvest of jalapenos. There are still several more dozen on the plants, so I’ll be up to my elbows in peppers. Look at the pretty green of the jalapenos…



I don't have a photo of the cayenne peppers, but the red cayennes and green jalapenos make me think of Christmas!

And the tomatoes…



I have about twice as many tomatoes than are in the above photo in the dehydrator today. Our grape tomato plants have just been so prolific, it’s been amazing. I’m going to have to go through all the bags of dehydrated tomatoes that are in the freezer and figure out how many I have. Our Roma tomatoes are about at the end of their life, so I think this upcoming weekend we will pull up those plants. We have been waffling back and forth about whether or not to pull up the grape tomatoes before the first frost in about 6 or 8 weeks. We will probably take that week by week, as long as they keep producing.


The only other plants in the garden are radishes, carrots, and sweet peppers. None of them have been very prolific this year, so we just eat those as they come and haven’t had enough to really preserve them. We still have beans and squash from earlier in the summer in the freezer, plus I canned pickles and blackberry jam. All in all, our garden has given us a wonderful bounty that we will be able to enjoy into the winter. I’m looking forward to planning next year’s garden!

No comments:

Post a Comment