Pages

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

AQS – Chattanooga, TN

This past Saturday my husband and I headed down to Chattanooga to the AQS Quilt Show. This is the third quilt show we have attended this year (and probably not the last – there are some smaller local ones in the next month or so). This show was much smaller than I anticipated. There didn’t seem to be as many contest quilts as I have seen in the other shows, and I just wasn’t blown away by any one quilt as I was at the other shows. That said, the quilts were beautiful, and I’m always amazed at the talent of quilters. I only took a few pictures, and none of the winners, but you can see the winners at this web page.

I have to admit that when I walked in the convention center I was immediately overwhelmed. I think the high ceilings do it to me J. It wasn’t overly crowded for a Saturday, but there were still plenty of people to contend with. I personally find this a problem when it comes to the vendor section. It is very difficult to look through the vendor stalls with all the other people in there. And I think these vendor spaces were smaller than any I have seen before. Even though we went to look at the quilts and at longarm machines, I was really looking forward to wandering through the vendor section to look at patterns. That didn’t get done L. Good news…I didn’t spend any money either!

The contest quilts were all great, but I only took a couple of photos of those. I really like this one of the barns…



I didn’t get a photo of the label (my bad) so I cannot credit the maker, but I really like the fun barn blocks. I’m making a quilt similar to this with different house blocks (making them up as I go), so I think that is why I like this one so much. I also like how she incorporated novelty fabric in the “grass” areas to show cows and sheep (I think she has pigs and chickens in other blocks too)…





This is just a fun quilt and though it wasn’t a ribbon winner, it was one of my favorites.

This quilt also jumped out at me as I walked around the corner and saw it…



I also didn’t get the label info on this one (man, am I slacking off!). The main reason I was struck by this one is that I made a roadrunner quilt a few years ago…



There was also a section of exhibit quilts that weren’t judged. I took a few photos of those quilts, as they “spoke” to me more than the others. There were a few quilts from the BadAss Quilters Society (I apologize for anyone who is offended, but that is their name – you can find them on Facebook or on the web for more information about them). This first one is from a pattern I’ve seen several times and I really love the pattern…it was great to see it in a quilt…




The next two were quilts my husband really liked. He liked the subdued colors…







Finally, one thing that really excited me was one of the first things I saw when we walked into the quilt show. Several months ago I bought a book from AQS called The Ancient Art of Applique – Patterns from the Tentmakers of Cairo.



The very first display we saw when we walked in was a table set up selling this same book, PLUS a couple of dozen of the actual quilts made up (and for sale). I love to see quilts made from patterns that I like, so this was a great surprise for me. Here is the first quilt you see when you walk into the exhibit…



All in all, it was a good day. It was a bit long…three hours of driving…and the ceramics store we also wanted to look at was closed, but we saw some lovely quilts and got some more information about longarm quilting machines. I think we have that figured out now. We just have to make the decision to buy it!

I'm looking forward to more quilt shows this fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment