Pages

Sunday, August 31, 2014

August NewFO Challenge or What I Did on My Summer Vacation

OK, maybe not a vacation, but it did seem like I was busy in August.

First, for my NewFO for August, I started a Split 9-Patch quilt.



I was getting sick of seeing my scraps spill over their containers, so I took out my AccuQuilt and cut them into 2-1/2 inch squares and half-square triangles. I was able to get through most of my scraps, but I still have a lot to go. However, I wanted to do something with them, so I figured this block was a good option J. I’m thinking I could possibly get two quilts out of my scraps and they just might make some nice Christmas gifts. We’ll see how far I get. I’ll be linking up over at the NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches.

Next, I was able to quilt and bind my Charm Pack baby quilt. I really like how this quilt turned out, and I love the polka dot backing. Here are a couple of photos…




I also participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at SoScrappy. The color this month was light and bright green. I don’t really have any light greens, but I used most of my bright greens last May when the color of the month was green. But, earlier this month I was able to come up with some light-ish and muted greens to make squares for my house blocks. Here are the squares I made…



Last week I also found some more bright greens in my sewing room (I don’t know where they were hiding), so I stripped them and put them together and made some hexagon coasters.

So, those were the major items I accomplished in the sewing room this month. I also worked on a few other small projects…

I made two tea cup blocks for a swap at our September quilt guild meeting...you can see the link here.

I made 20 signature blocks for a swap for my email quilting group…



I quilted and bound this Halloween panel kit…



And I made this Fall mini quilt for my table top quilt stand…



I’ll be able to put that up on the first of September. I normally spend Labor Day putting out the fall d├ęcor. The weather might be in the 90s, but I’m imagining the lovely fall days here in East Tennessee…

A few other things I accomplished was cutting up a lot of my scraps (yay!); working a (little) bit on my daughter’s dragon quilt top; and making some flannel pajama pants for me.

I also spent a lot of time outside cleaning the wildflowers out of the front planter, harvesting our garden, working on various other outdoor projects, dehydrating and canning from the garden, working on some genealogy, and trying to clean out and do some organizing in the house (I have two closets done – woo hoo!).

September should be more of the same fun. Plus I get to go to the AQS show in Chattanooga! Double woo hoo! Time to look at more quilting machines. We’ll also be staining our back deck (which we just fixed up in the spring) and probably finishing up with the garden…though I think the tomatoes are never going to go away! We may even have the chance to get the trailer fixed so we can go camping later in the month. That would be great!

I hope you had a great August!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, that is a lot of progress for one month!! Love what you are doing with your fabric scraps too, those will make wonderful Christmas presents:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute projects. I love your fall mini.

    ReplyDelete