Pages

Sunday, July 6, 2014

This Week & Stash Report Week 27 of 2014

I accomplished a few things this week in the sewing room.

First, I completed my Summer Cat mini quilt.



This will be hanging up in the table top quilt stand in our living room for the remainder of the summer. Sometime this summer I’ll have to get one done for the fall months. This cat is a block from a Patrick Lose quilt, “A Cat for All Seasons”. I talked about it a little bit here and here. This was my project for July’s NewFO Challenge, so I’ll be joining the Linky Party at Cat Patches at the end of the month.

I also finished part 5 of Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice Mystery Quilt for 2013.



I now have all the little units made and can start putting blocks together. I may have time at the end of the month to do that. But, this may be a project I focus on more for August.

Lastly, I made up a little magnetic wall hanging block thing-y.



This is from a kit I picked up at our quilt guild yard sale earlier this week. It’s a little gray kitty sewing up a storm. The block is about 7x7 inches and has a magnet sewn into the top corner of the block. It’s now hanging on the file cabinet in my sewing room. It took about an hour or so total from start to finish, and I think it turned out really cute. I have another kit with a cat playing with a pin cushion that I picked up at the sale, so I think I’ll take some time next week to get that one made up. Not bad for 25 cents a kit!

Other than that, we finished replacing all the boards and the railing on the backyard deck…so that big chore is done! The garden is producing like mad, and next week I’m going to venture into canning. Never done it before, but the cucumbers are going crazy and I can only make so many refrigerator pickles! I’m going to have to can some. I’m also going to try canning some blackberry jam. We have quarts and quarts of blackberries, so I’ll give it a try!

Next week, my plan is to work on the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The color for July is red, so I’ll get some more red squares put together and then try to make some house blocks.

So, for the Stash Report…well, we had the annual quilt guild garage sale this past week at our guild meeting, and my goal was to look just at patterns and such, and not buy any fabric. FAIL! I did pick up quite a bit of fabric, but not all quilting fabric. I added about 3 yards in fat quarters to my quilting stash. I also picked up some knits for sweatshirts from the free table, but I’m not counting those in my stash. I also bought a mystery box of flannels for $10. When I got it home and opened it, there were about 20+ yards of flannels in there. There were large cuts (2-3 yards each) of about 6 fabrics from the same fabric line, plus a few others of smaller cuts, but all at least about a yard each. I don’t know what I’m going to do with them yet, but I’m not counting them in my stash just now. They’ll be put away for a bit. I may end up using them for something for the trailer since they are camping/wilderness themed prints. By the way, I did also pick up a few patterns and some small quilting kits ;).

As far as fabric going out, I finished the Summer Cat mini quilt (1/2 yard) and I also put together some quilt blocks from some old solids I had to use for FMQ practice (3/4 yard).  So, in the hole even further (but worth it!).

I’ll be linking up with the Stash Report over at Patchwork Times. Head on over to see how everyone is using up their stash.

Used year to date:    25.75 yards
Used this week:         1.25 yards
Added year to date:  52.75 yards
Added this week:       3 yards
Total net used 2014: 28.75 yards
(green means I’ve bought more than I’ve used)


That’s it from here. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment