Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2014

July NewFO, Etc.

I started (and completed) a new project for the 2014 NewFO Challenge for July at Cat Patches. I made a new mini quilt for the summer to put in my table top quilt stand.



This is from a pattern called “A Cat for All Seasons” by Patrick Lose. I’ve made the wall hanging previously for my daughter’s room, and I liked the “cool cat” for my summer mini quilt.

I also completed my primary goals for the month of July, though I really didn’t set any high standards for myself ;).

I completed my Charm Pack quilt top for July’s A Lovely Year of Finishes.



You can see my post about it right here.

I also participated in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge at SoScrappy. The color for July was red, and I was able to complete “made” blocks to build both of my large red house blocks, plus the four small border houses. I also made a couple of red hearts with scraps and some log cabin blocks with my red strips. The additional border houses in the photo below are from previous months of the Challenge. I’m hoping to make a Valentine’s quilt with the hearts and log cabin blocks by next year. Here are all my reds for July…





OK, those were my main goals. I also had some other things I wanted to work on, but between the garden and life I really didn’t do a lot in the sewing room. But, I did work a little bit on the reverse applique dragon…



…and I completed Step 5 in Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice mystery from December 2013…



I was also able to sort of start on a mini quilt for fall. I’m not exactly sure if I like this the way it is, or if I want something completely different. It will probably look way different with the dark binding I have in mind for it. Whatever I decide, it will take the place of my summer cat in my table top quilt stand in September.



I started working on a Halloween wall hanging kit that I got from Keepsake Quilting earlier this year. It was on clearance from last Halloween, and I thought it was cute and worth the (cheap) price. I did switch out the backing fabric that came with it. I thought it was cute and didn’t need to be facing the wall. So I grabbed some fabric I have in my “To Scrap or Use as Backing” pile and swapped it out. Now I have some cute Halloween fabric in my stash. Lucky me! The wall hanging has just been stitched in the ditch (pre-printed ditches, since it’s a panel) and I’m Free Motion Quilting around the border and in the blocks with my home machine. Here are the wall hanging (work in progress) and the backing fabric it came with…




Finally, I made a few cat quilts/blankets out of some flannel I bought at our quilt guild garage sale earlier this month and I was able to finish up the second small magnet quilt from a kit I picked up at the guild sale. I bought two kits for a quarter each, and I made the other one earlier this month. You can see it here. The following photo is of the second one that I finished this week.



That’s about it for my accomplishments this month in the sewing room. I never did get any Christmas gifts made (or started), nor did I work on any UFOs that were calling my name. But, I got lots of jam and pickles canned, and more garden vegies dehydrated and frozen for later. I think the garden is settling down a bit, though the tomatoes are starting to ripen and I’m sure I’ll need to do something with a bunch of Romas! Bring on August!



3 comments:

  1. Cute, cute, cute! I have made the Cat for All Seasons quilt. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, You're busy! I think your Valentine quilt is going to be a knockout!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, it looks like you've been pretty busy, love the cat quilt, he's bright and wonderful. The charm pack quilt is really cute and I can't wait to see the dragon progress.

    ReplyDelete