Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

June Goals

I have lots and lots of ideas for the month of June. It will probably be a much busier month for outdoor stuff, what with the garden starting to produce (and needing weeding); plus we are putting in a new deck, so I will probably be working on that for the next week or so. We’ll see how it goes. Plus my birthday is at the end of the month, so maybe we’ll be busy with that!

But, this month I decided to set my primary goals for the month based on a theme: cats! I am a cat person (though I do love dogs and other critters very much as well…and we have two dogs too). And 14 years ago this month, we adopted our two sweet girls…



They were just itty bitty when we got them, now they are big ol’ gals - With totally opposite personalities! But, they live a life of luxury with plenty of quilts to sleep on!

So, being a cat person, I have plenty of cat themed quilt patterns and I have started plenty of them. I haven’t finished many, but then it just means I have plenty to keep me busy, right? I would like to get some more finishes, though.

First, for my June goal for A Lovely Year of Finishes, I would like to finish piecing the blocks for the Folk Art Cat pattern from StitchinPost.com. I received this pattern as a gift for Mother’s Day in 2013 and have only gotten 3 blocks pieced so far. My goal for ALYOF is to complete piecing all twelve blocks, including the cat appliques on each block. I’m hand stitching the appliques, so this may take a while! I’ve embroidered the faces on the first two, but I’m not worrying about getting that part done this month. I just want the blocks done. I’m doing the sashing and borders a bit differently than in the pattern. I'll post some photos as the month goes along.

Next, I would like to finish the paper pieced borders on the Sawtooth Cats quilt top and possibly get another border on, so I can call this top done.

Another “cat” quilt I want to work on is my Kitties in the Middle quilt.



This block is called many different things, but one name is Puss in the Corner. I’m using my cat fabrics for the center of the block, so I’m calling it Kitties in the Middle. The blocks go together quickly and I would really like to get this one completed so I can quilt it soon.

Ok, so those three things I REALLY want to work on in June - if there is the time (and the inclination!) I have several other items I would like to work on as well.

First, I again want to participate in the NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches. I have plenty of cat projects to choose from, but I will most likely quilt up a little Halloween wall hanging quilt I just bought recently. It would be nice to get something done start to finish in a month.

I also would like to make a July 4th themed mini quilt for my table top quilt stand. I have plenty of red, white and blue fabrics, so I think I can take one day this month and get one made.

I again want to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge. The color for June is yellow. So I will try to get some squares put together so I can make some more house blocks.

Also, Judy at Patchwork Times has her Scrappy Challenge 2014 going on. I’ll see if I can’t do better in June and make up some of her blocks when she puts out the design.

Other than that, a few other things that have been on my goal lists for previous months…make some purses/pouches for gifts; make some more mug rugs; start on the vintage hankies quilt; work on the dragon quilt; and work on Celtic Solstice (I’m on Step 5).


I think that’s way more than plenty! 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a worthy goal. I can see that life keeps you too busy to sew, too! Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hopping over from the LYOF goal, There is a QAL posted on my blog that this would fit perfect in. . please stop by my blog and enter my giveaway.

    ReplyDelete