Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

Scrappy Challenge for March Finished

I completed eight blocks for the March Scrappy Challenge at Patchwork Times. And my goodness, are they scrappy! Here are the eight blocks I made:



Judy’s block called for cutting 3-1/2 inch squares and 3-1/2 inch half-square-triangle squares to make a Split Nine-Patch block. I had a bunch of 2-1/2 inch scrap strips cut, and a box of 2-1/2 inch half-square-triangle squares already sewn together. So I scaled down the block and used those. I cut off squares from the 2-1/2 inch strips for the squares in the blocks.

I needed at least the eight blocks to make a pattern with the Split Nine-Patch, so this project is bigger than a potholder. I decided to make a hot pad instead. It measures 12 by 24 and fits nicely on my dining room table. Here are the two arrangements I looked at:


Arrangement #1


Arrangement #2

I decided to go with the dark center and outer corners in Arrangement #1. I was able to get through this quickly and got it done during the first week of the month. Here it is all quilted and bound:



This is WAY more scrappy than I tend to make “scrappy” projects. I usually at least coordinate colors, fret about placement, etc. The only parameters I put on this was that I decided not to use any Christmas or Halloween fabrics (I have plenty of those scraps). I literally just grabbed a block and placed it, with very little fussiness about where it went. This was a bit out of my comfort zone, since I can be a control freak, but it turned out OK anyway.

Funny thing…I’ve been stripping and scrapping my fabric the past week and I’ve decided to actually use this block to make a quilt from all the scraps I have (though I’m sure I could get several out of my scraps!). I really like the way this turned out.

Check out the other March projects for Scrappy Challenge 2014 over at Patchwork Times.

We had a storm come through at about 4 am today, so the dogs came barging in our room scared from the thunder and lightning. I’ve been awake ever since, so I’m sure a nap is in my future for the afternoon. Until then, I’m off to strip up some more scraps and probably put together some blocks for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2014.

I hope you all have a great day!


1 comment:

  1. Your block turned into quite a cute little project. I love it so much I think I'll stitch up some more and make some placemats. Thanks for sharing and the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete