Pages

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Mid-Month Check-In for April

It’s officially halfway through the month, so I thought I’d check to see how I’m doing on my April goals.

My first goal was to finish my Patriotic Star wall hanging for A Lovely Year of Finishes for April. Done! I will post a photo and more information about that during the last week of April for the ALYOF Linky Party.

My second goal was to finish Part 2 of Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice mystery. I’m getting there on that one. The individual units are pieced, I just need to finish putting them in pairs and piecing the chevrons. So I guess I’m about halfway there. That’s OK for halfway through the month!

Third, I wanted to join in the fun of the Scrappy Challenge at Patchwork Times. Well, that may not happen this month. I haven’t done anything on that, so we’ll see if I get around to it in the next two weeks.

Next, I wanted to participate in the Rainbow Scrap Challenge 2014. Done! I got all the purple blocks done that I need for April, plus I caught up with the first three months of the year. Here is what I have so far.





The block on the bottom of the design wall in the above photo is my haunted house block. Here’s a closer photo.



The block is rectangular; it’s just the strange camera angle that makes it look out of whack.

This block is made in the same manner as the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks and leads me to my final goal of the month…a project for the NewFO Challenge at Cat Patches. I was going to make the other Out & About pillow or start on a mystery quilt, but those haven’t happened. But, I decided to start the quilt I want to make with the Rainbow Scrap Challenge blocks. These are all “made” fabrics using scraps of similar color and sewing them together until they are big enough to create the size I need. I’m making some blocks 6 ½ inches (unfinished) and the others 3 ½ inches (unfinished). The larger “made” blocks will then become the houses in the blocks of the quilt, and the smaller ones will become smaller house blocks that I’ll put in the borders.

I decided to put one together to see how it would work, so I used a bunch of Halloween scraps to make a haunted house for the quilt. I’m not using a pattern, but making it up as I go along, so I don’t really know how it will turn out in the end. But, I think the basic block for the haunted house turned out fine. I still need to trim it down in size a bit; I want it to be 14 by 16 inches finished. But so far it looks OK with its stormy-looking sky and dead-grass yard J. I will also add a front door and windows, along with some applique items on each block. I’ll probably add a gnarled tree and a black cat to this block; maybe even a ghost somewhere! Also, I might add a moon in the sky and a jack-o-lantern at the front door. I plan on adding items to each house block to give them a bit of individuality. I hope to get a few more blocks put together before the end of the month.

So that’s it on the goals. Monday was spent “making” fabric and yesterday was spent cleaning out the cats’ room (our extra bedroom). Now it is useable as an office for both my husband and me (along with the cat paraphernalia).

Today I need to uncover (then later recover) some plants and veggies in the garden. We had snow for about 4 hours yesterday, plus below freezing temps last night. We’re also due to get down close to freezing tonight, so I’ll need to at least cover the tomato plants tonight. Are we sure this is April? Later today I need to take the dog to the vet for her check-up and I’ll probably work on Celtic Solstice for a bit. We’re taking a long weekend to start work on an outdoor hardscape project (new walkway!), so I don’t know how much more sewing I’ll get done this week. I hope to at least work on bits and pieces of my many projects that I have going on between now and the end of the month, so we’ll see when I can sneak the time in.

Have a wonderful Wednesday!




1 comment:

  1. You're doing well on your goals! I didn't even make any this month, things have been so upside down in my life!

    ReplyDelete