Pages

Thursday, April 24, 2014

ALYOF April Finish

Thanks so much to Melissa at Sew BitterSweet Designs and Shanna at Fiber of All Sorts for hosting the ALYOF 2014. I won one of the wonderful prizes for March! Thank you! I was really excited! I chose a charm pack from Stitches N’ Giggles, and Lori was really great at sending out my prize quickly. Thank you, Lori! I can’t wait to start working with the fabric. Here is a photo of the fabric in the charm pack:



It is From Outside In by Malka Dubrowsky for Moda. Very pretty!

My goal for ALYOF for April was to sandwich, quilt, and bind my Patriotic Star wall hanging (#6 at the April Goal Linky Party). Done!



It really wasn’t LOTS of work; I just needed to sit down and do it. I tend to procrastinate on the quilting part because I’m not always sure what to do. The most dreaded words in the English language for me are “Quilt as desired.” Plus, I do my machine quilting on my domestic machine and I only have 7 inches of space. Not too big a problem for wall hangings like this, but still tough. Hopefully that will change by the end of this year and I’ll get a longarm!

So, I started with ditch stitching the blocks, then I did a wavy swirl in the center string part of the star of the quilt. Hopefully you can see it in the following photo.



Then I just decided to continue with the wavy line through the string triangles, so I just made wavy lines back and forth.



Finally, I knew I wanted to do a meandering star pattern in the background (dark blue with white stars), so I got that done.



Then I finally got the binding on and stitched down. This was the first quilting project I have machine sewn the binding to the back, then hand stitched it down on the front. I always do it the other way around. It really wasn’t any different. I think it might make a difference to me if I needed to make sure my binding didn’t cut off any points on the front, but for this project, either way would work.

I also added labels when I sewed the binding on. I used some ribbon and a fabric pen to write the information, and now the ribbon can be used as the hangers for the wall hanging. I usually put a dowel rod through the hangers and hang it on a nail.




By the way, I did piece the back with a lot of OLD fabric. Some of these are from the late 1980s and early 1990s. I am trying to use up a lot of these older fabrics in the backs of my quilts. So this one has plenty of red, white, and blue in the back! Here is a photo of the entire back, then a close up photo of some of the fabrics.






So that’s it! Done! Yay! If you would like to see other wonderful projects by very talented people, head on over to the ALYOF Linky Party for April.

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your win this month! This linky is such a great motivator.
    I like your ribbon/label/hanger idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on your quilting. Practice & perseverance gets you there. I just did this 6*7 foot quilt on my domestic machine. It took a few days but you do get there.
    http://jobutterfield.blogspot.com.au/2014/04/fnsi-free-motion-quilting.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. WEll done on reaching your goal, it looks great! Love the star quilting

    ReplyDelete