Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

March 2014 Finishes

I’m so excited…I met all my March goals! Of course, because winter has hung around so long that meant we didn’t do any gardening, camping, or renovations. So I was able to spend plenty of time in the sewing room.

First, I met my goal for March for A Lovely Year of Finishes 2014. You can read about it here.



I also worked on the block for the Scrappy Challenge 2014 at Patchwork Times. This month’s block was a split nine patch, and I completed a scrappy hot pad for my dinner table. I’ll write about that and link up at Patchwork Times on the last day of the month. Here’s a photo of the finished hot pad:



I also completed my “Bless This House” embroidery project I started last fall. This was in the September/October 2013 Quiltmaker magazine. I didn’t quilt it and turn it into a wall hanging as they show. I just bought a frame at the thrift store and painted it, then framed the embroidery. It’s still up on my mantle. It may just stay there.



I also added the borders to my NewFO from February, the Family Tree wall hanging for my husband’s family.



This is not exactly how I wanted it to turn out. The border fabric in the kit does not have enough fabric to make matching borders, except for two or three of the smaller motifs in the stripes. I’m a matchy-matchy kind of person, so I really wanted the borders to all look the same. The length of the stripes were enough to fit on each side of the center of the wall hanging, but there were only two of each of the stripes in the fabric that I wanted to use. There were four stripes of the smaller motifs. I hope that’s not too confusing. Here’s a photo of the striped fabric so you can see what I mean:



I really wanted to use this scroll you see in the middle of the next photo:



or these blocks:



But there were only two stripes of each. I ended up using the leafy motif with the green background you see under the scroll stripe. It turned out fine, just wasn’t my first choice. And the top is done! I’ll get this one quilted up probably by summer.

I also completed Step 3 in Bonnie Hunter’s Celtic Solstice mystery quilt.



I think I will just work on one step each month and hopefully finish the top by this summer. I think in April I’ll tackle Part 2…chevrons. I’ve made some already, but for some reason I just can’t get into these units. I’m sure I’ll muddle through it though and get it done.

I started (and finished) my NewFO for March for Cat Patches. I’ll be linking up over there. Here is what I worked on:



It’s a block from McKenna Ryan’s Out & About kits called Dinner for Two. I made it into a pillow for our trailer. I’ll write about it on the last day of the month and link up at Cat Patches for the NewFO Challenge 2014.

I also worked on some blocks for my Kitties in the Middle quilt. You can read about that here.

Finally, I also made a quick baby quilt top. I will probably cut the borders down a bit before it’s done. We’ll see what I decide to do with it.



Along with those things, I also attended A Mountain Quilt Fest and got some pansies planted. I’m hoping the garden can go in soon!

That’s it! I’ll be linking up with Susan at DesertSky Quilting. Now I’ll have to figure out what to do for April. Gotta get busy!


5 comments:

  1. You've been busy; the bears are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Linda, that's a LOT of progress! I'm really impressed with all that you've done. I love the family tree, and your explanation was very clear. It looks great. I know you'll find a way to use the rest of that fabric in a very creative way, too. I'm not sure which thing I like best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been busy and very productive. I love the bears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made that same bless this house stitchery. Very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi!!!! I love your bears and the kitties!!!! Very cute!!!!!

    ReplyDelete